Windows wanting to reactivate

Status
Not open for further replies.

samjohnson

I just upgraded my memory from 1gig of A-Data to 2gigs of OCZ. So I turned my computer on and now windows wants to reactivate. Is this normal when you change your hardware? On start up it said I changed my hardware from the original setup and now needs to reactivate my copy of windows. Anybody know why it wants to?

you obviously have an OEM version of windows and yes it is normal , your hardware configuration has changed so they want to make sure your the original end user.

you'll probably find that you get a "cd key already in use " error when trying to reactivate , basically thats because the cd key is already in use.......by you , you may have to ring them up to get activated , but its painless enough just hit the correct tab in the reactivate window and it gives you a phone number and they can talk you through it :0)

windows will detect 'significant hardware changes' and will ask for reactivation to make sure you are not trying to run (perhaps an OEM copy) on a new machine. Re-activation only takes a few moments even if you have to phone - but you really don't have a choice!

Ok thanks guys for your help. I guess I will give em a call tomarrow, or tonight.

**EDIT** Well actually I plan on doing a reformat real soon ( once I get my external HD that is) so do you think I should just wait and call them after I do the reformat?

You didn't say if it was OEM !
My boxed version only needed activateing once.
I am registered with Name,address,phone # and email.
No limit on updates or Tech support.$259.00
I have many new components,but wasn't asked again.
So I guess you have OEM.So Reactivate.

Hum - OEM version at about $100 or the bells & whistles for $260.
Given we know microsoft, I think I would try Linux. Again.

Yes I have OEM version of XP. I wasn't going to spend 260 on the retail version. Ok one more question, it says that I have three days to activate my copy of windows. Now if I leave it go untill next week when I can reformat and the three days have gone by windows isn't going to like lock up or anything when the three days are up is it? I will be able to use it and everything just won't be able to update and all that right?

Reactivateing

Why is this such a concern ? Just click activate if you want to use
Windows Update.First thing to do after a Format.

It is a concern cuse I can't reformat until next week when I get my external HD so I can back up some files. So I guess I will call tomarrow and talk to them about the activation and then do it again after I reformat. Thanks everyone for the help.

**EDIT** HMMM... I just decided to try it over the internet and it worked. So hopefully it will work again when I do my reformat. Thanks again for the help.

There are only so many actvations you are allopwed to do over the internet before you have to make the phone call and suffer the spanish inquisition by microsoft. Still, if you tell them it is a hard drive replacement they will give you the new code - it only takes a few minutes.

True - but I think you would struggle to get things like your Outlook Express files and profiles out of it once it had gone bush like that.

Thanks for the info guys. We will see what happens when I reformat next week. Hopefully I won't have to call microsoft. I would most likely be talking to some guy that can barely speak english and I can barley understand him.
No offense to anybody in here that doesn't speak real good english. :D

Oh man, you are right, guess I got the complaints about Vista and this thread mixed up in my head (someone linked an article about hardware changes requiring reactivation). I knew XP didn't have RFM. Apologies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back