Windows will not boot to Install CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

FallenOne

Hello Everyone,
I just put together a new PC and got through with my first install and got all the drivers on there. I restarted to get all the drivers working, but when the PC booted up, it told me that "Windows could not start because the following file was missing or corrupt: system32/DRIVERS/pci.sys".

Alright, this is a common enough problem, all I have to do is boot to the repair console and remove the corrupt file and replace it. The problem is, whenever I try to boot to the WinXP install CD, it says that I should push any key to boot to CD, and then goes straight over to the warning screen mentioned above.

I know that both my drive and keyboard are functioning, since I used them no more than 20 mins ago. Anyone know what my problem is?

Thanks for the help.

PS. Can anyone explain to me how to clear an HDD completely? Partitions and all? I tried reformatting, but that doesn't remove partitions and I was to return to a clean slate.

Thanks again.

Okay, nothing in that thread is really a solution to my problem.

I have an XP disc with SP2 slipstreamed, and I know how to replace a corrupted file.
The Real problem is, I can't boot to the XP install CD.

I switch on the PC, get a regular POST, the MB screen comes up, then the computer brings me to the screen that says that I should push any button to boot to CD. I thinks for a while as though it is about to boot to CD, then just goes to the error screen I mentioned in my original post.

Like I said, I know my Keyboard and CD drives work. Does anyone know what the problem is here?

Your keyboard might work but if it is USB, it might not work before Windows starts up.

Turn on legacy USB support in the BIOS or use a PS/2 keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back