Windows will not load if Broadband modem is connected to USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baldrick

Hi

Since switching to Broadband I find Windows will not load if the modem is connected to the USB port. It just hangs until I pull out the USB lead then Windows continues to load successfully. I could live with it, but I'm sure the lead will become worn eventually.

I am using Windows 98 and have a Speedtouch 330 modem.

Does this sound familiar with anyone. Thanks in advance if it does.

Baldrick

ps - one other thing, sometimes it takes many attempts to connect to the internet. The dial-up connect reports 'no dial tone' and the Speedtouch software just fails. Eventually one of them will work.

http://speedtouch.virgin.net/drivers.asp
Here they list Win98 drivers for that modem. Try installing these first without the modem connected and then re-boot and see what happens.
Before trying this check Control Panel/System to see if the modem is listed.
If so remove the device from there before installing the drivers.
Keep us posted.

patio. :cool:

I'm afraid it didn't work. I'm now definitely on the latest driver and I de-installed and re-installed. Had a panic as I couldn't remember how to add the Broadband modem but got there in the end as you can see by this reply.

Many thanks for trying.

Baldrick

Is this Win98SE by the way??
If not maybe research on updating...
USB was in it's infancy in the 98 days...

Did your broadband provider supply the modem?? if so see if they will swap it out no charge...

Another relatively inexpensive thing to try would be an add-on USB hub...
Get one that has it's own power cord 4 port hub about 25.00 U.S.

Let us know...

Patio

Good point - I'm on Win98. No, I've borrowed this Modem until I decide which provider to go with. I've just got a monthly contract with Virgin.net for the time being. If I take up a different one it'll include the modem. The 4 port hub sounds like a good idea anyway - this PC only has 2 USB ports and I now have 3 USB devices.

Thanks again

Baldrick

I would seriously consider upgrading your system if possible, to Win 2000 at minimum or even XP...
Two free programs that will tell you exactly what your system has will give you a better idea of what it will handle..
They are Belarc advisor and Aida32...sorry i don't have links handy.

With broadband access you will get spoiled rapidly anyways and be looking for more horsepower, so why not... :haha:

I know I'll have to end up with XP eventually but I can't face up to re-installing all my existing stuff. It will probably have to wait until I buy my next machine.

Thanks for your assistance

Hi, I too have the exact same problem. I know that broadband does work with windows 98 SE as I have several mates who are connecting successfully, so there must be a way around it.

Would be pleased to hear of any solutions. BTW I have been sent the link to this forum via my broadband and modem supplier, and so they have no solution either.

Ian

Hi, This is exactly the problem I'm having at the moment. In fact it was searching for clues on Google that flagged Baldrick's original post and prompted me to join the Group! I've just signed up to Virgin.net and they sent me a Speedtouch 330... I went in to a local computer shop yesterday and they suggested it should be plugged into a USB 2.0 port. I left a few quid lighter, but clutching the required PCI card and installed it this afternoon. No *#^&**@# difference!
A call to the Virgin broadband helpline suggested reinstalling the modem driver, but added that I'd have to remove Norton AntiVirus first..?? I don't understand why - but that would surely give a problem as it was upgraded earlier in the year via the Internet. How could it be reinstalled?
The other suggestion is the old chestnut... Increase Microsoft revenue by paying them to be a bug tester/guinea pig and install XP. Is that REALLY necessary?
Thanks for any advice guys.
All the best
Rover

You might try disabling legacy USB support in the BIOS and also disabling "Try booting from alternate devices" in the boot section of the BIOS.

just a thought.

~bs

Upgrade! If your processor is 866MHz or less, I would recommend Windows 2000 Pro, but if its faster than that, make sure you have a minimum of 256MB Ram (the more the better. check your motherboard specs for max memory capabilities) and go with Windows XP Pro. It sounds like your system is pretty old though, so you should probably upgrade the whole thing! If your not able to build your own tower, its pretty tough to beat the deals Dell has going right now on their XPS systems. They've even knocked shipping down to like $25 (Usually like $100). I build a few PC's a year for my friends, but now I find myself telling people to just buy the Dell (unless i just want to take their money) I can't really compete anymore once they add in the 17" Ultrasharp LCD.

Thanks for the advice, Blaacksheep, Samstoned, and Milky... and sorry not to have replied earlier, but shortly after my last post the modem totally refused to play anymore! Virgin sent me a new one which has just arrived. It's exactly the same as before - I have to unplug it before it will load. :mad: :mad:
I'll have a look at your suggestions, but... just one idea of my own. Is it possible that my power supply is not up to the job? As Milky said, my system is knocking on a bit now (thanks mate!!), so is 300 or 350w enough?

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back