WIndows will not start...please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of a sudden the other day my computer restarted itself and now does not load into windows. It is always going into the "Safe Mode Options Screen". I've tried every option (safe mode; safe mode with networking; last known config; and start windows normally) Each one does not work and just goes back to the same screen. I've already tried the sticky posted at the beginning of this forum but when I choose option one after insterting the XP disc it only gives me the option to install windows xp again. It does not give me an option "Repair" windows. So I tried going into the recovery console. Once I am in there, when i type in "dir" it says it is unable to find it or I think it says "Invalid Drive Specification". Now when i run "chkdsk" or "chkdsk /r" it runs up until the 25% mark and says that the volume is corrupt or something is wrong with it.

Does anyone know how to fix this or what I can do to back up my files...??

It sounds like there could be a problem with your disk. You should be able to remove the hard drive and slave it in another machine. As long as it has not been formatted you should be able to lift all your files off it.

Hey thanks for the reply...

I haven't re-formatted anything at all yet. Not planning to do so till I can get this fixed and get all the files and documents I need. I'm somewhat compute literate but what exactly do you mean to "remove the hard drive and slave it?"

So if I am correct, Take the hard drive out and put into another computer...and just get all my files?

Also a question for everyone...Has this happend to you and if so what did you do to fix it?

Thanks!

Here is something you might try. This will get you into system restore hopefully and you can try a restore to an earlier date. Go to this site and download Barts PE. It's actually the XP program in a live CD that will give you access to some of the basic programs on your disk

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Once you create the CD, you need to set your computer to boot from CD. Put the CD into the CDROM and reboot. When it starts loading you will see a Windows Professional Boot Screen loading. don't worry if you have XP Home and not Pro.

When the program opens there will be the blue Bart PE screen and an orange 1/2 circle in the left lower corner labeled GO. Click on that then hit run. when the run program opens type cmd then hit OK. The command prompt window will open. It will say C;\windows\documents and settings\your user name> Type in

c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and hit enter.

Hopefully the System Restore Program will open and ask if you want to restore to a previous date. Say yes, then just follow directions. Let me know if it works.

I tried what you told me to do but am having alot of troubles. I made the boot disc and when i put it into my computer I get into the program but when i go into run and then type in cmd the C:\windows\documents and settings\your user name> doesnt show up. It shows E:\I386\System32

Do you know what I am doing wrong....

My last resort i think if i dont fix this by today is to take it into a store to fix...

OK you opened up the run box and typed in cmd and hit OK. The black command prompt opened and said e\i386\system32> ? Ok do it again and when the command prompt window opens type in

cd c:\windows

hit enter and see if that gets you to the c:\documents and settings\your name>

If so then enter the c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe command. If not then all I can say is we tried. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

luvhuffer said:
OK you opened up the run box and typed in cmd and hit OK. The black command prompt opened and said e\i386\system32> ? Ok do it again and when the command prompt window opens type in

cd c:\windows

hit enter and see if that gets you to the c:\documents and settings\your name>

If so then enter the c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe command.
If you're including the path for the command (c:\windows\system32\restore), then it won't matter where you are, c:\windows, documents or settings, or somewhere else.

Ya but when he tries to open restore, from the docs and settings, he's being taken to E which I assume is his ROM drive. I got him into the command prompt window. You know any other command lines he can try, before he gives it up and tries a reformat. It sounds like his disk is shot, from what he said in an earlier post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back