Windows wont boot!! big problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipVen

Okay. First my computer works fine today. next, i get another which has an amd athlon processor, and the comp i had had a pentium 3. Now i wanted to beef up my computer, so i took out the hard drive, video card, and sound card out of the computer i had, and put them into the one i just got.(current comp. runs 2000, new one runs 98). Now the 'new' computer worked fine without putting the things in. when i stuck the hard drive in the new one, it would not start up with both in, only when the hard drive for the 'new' computer is in ONLY. So then i decided to get the driver for the motherboard for the 'new' computer, and put it on a floppy. Next, i hooked up my original computer with all that it had before. Now the big current problem is that after it loads the screen with the 'F1' options, it goes to a black screen, with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. That is all that happens. We cannot even get into safe mode. How do i fix this problem?

Windows detects the fact that you have changed the hardware configuration. Windows XP is very unforgiving if you change anything but the memory. It will just quit stubbornly... You will need to reach an undestanding with Microsoft online or by telephone.
If you are using a recover disc, this is more difficult, but the solution is at www.microsoft.com and the location of your computer manufacturer.

Are you sure you had the additional hard drive set as SLAVE? If it is also set as MASTER, then it will not boot correctly, because there are 2 MASTERs. Have a look at that and see what happens.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.
A message for all newcomers.
SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back