windows won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheeler47

*worked fine this morning; no new updates or software
*Got home from work; POST'd ok then BSOD
*F8 to Safe Mode; un-installed/re-installed video driver(proprietary ATI radeon)
*Now gets past BSOD to say Windows is now loading.....and never does
*Any ideas? running XP home edition, what if I install my copy of XP professional over this? Recovery to original install? will I lose any applications &/or data??
Please help I need my PC for online classes asap...thnx

Ok, so you've eliminated the BSOD from the Video Driver.

If you can boot up to the PC in Safe-Mode, then i'd go there. Get to another PC and download an updated video driver for your other PC. Copy to a USB Drive, make sure the USB Drivers are activated in Safe Mode and copy and install the new video drivers. You may find this as a working solution if not, come and ask us again and i'll give you solution 2.

Simon

i rebooted again and windows seemed to load normally, however, at the log in screen the keyboard and mouse would not engage. so out of desperation i unplugged them, replugged...nothing. i unplugged everything except power and monitor from the back and then plugged in the mouse!!!!! bam it worked. i logged in and my desktop came up normally, so i plugged in the keyboard and it worked. lol what do you think is going on? i ran a security update and virus sweep...nothing. by the way what do you think about loading xp professional over home edition? pros / cons. my pro edition is disc i got from a friend who's pc was stolen and he got a new one with vista so i dont know if this disc has a registry number that is tied to it or not?!?

Definetly XP PRO

XP pro has many advantages over xp home such as file and folder encryption, disk quotas (if you share the pc), dynamic disks (my personal favorite), able to connect to a domain etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back