Windows Won't start after new motherboard and graphics card installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI all,
I have just upgraded my PC by installing a new motherboard GIGABYT S series for AMD with PCI graphics 7600GT graphics card. However windows crashes when loading at the logo stage, I am theorising that the conflic is with the graphics card, however I can not load the drivers for the new card without windows so how can I get my systen to work?

Thanks
Hound

Did you reinstall Windows AFTER installing the mobo?? Windows does not like drastic hardware changes and won't work, especially after installing a new motherboard. It's set up to accept and work on the bios from the old mobo and won't accept the bios from the new one.

Put in your XP cd and run a windows "repair". That should get the correct drivers in and fix you up, hopefully.

But note: it is recommended (as sghiznaneck says above) that you do a fresh install when hardware is changed that much.

Unless you have a very important reason and a lot of time, I would just do a clean install after a radical hardware change.
This process(The one mentioned in the previous post) is time consuming and highly specific, it is just not worth it.

The "Windows Repair" might work here. Remember it is not the option to repair using the repair console, it is the repair option after that screen. This works best if the new motherboards chipset is the same brand as the old motherboards chipset. If the repair freezes, you'll have to do a fresh Windows install

Thanks for all your replies, I tried all the relevant links and suggestions, but nothing worked, I did not want to do a fresh install of XP due to the large number of software packages I will have to reinstall, but it looks like I have no option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back