Windows XP and Upgrade advisor issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help. I recently bought Windows XP upgrade. My system meets the specs on the box (AMD Duron 1.6ghz,512mb ram,Nvidia 5500 agp card). When I go to do the upgrade, the upgrade advisor tells me there is an incompatility between my video card and my mainboard. Now my system is custom built running windows 98 with no problems. A little history, I used to have an old SiS 300 series video card until I got the nvidia a few months ago. I am pretty sure that I removed all the files and reg entries from my system. I spent 2 hrs on the phone with microsoft tech support and they have no idea whats going on. Has anyone encountered this before?

xp

So will it let you install or won't it let you because of the problem? I would guess the adviser is wrong if your card and motherboard work together now.

upgrade

Do you still have your old card? If not, do you have any friends that might let you borrow a card for a little? I think once you get xp installed, then you could switch back to your current card.

Harsh but the truth...

Hey...

Look take back the XP upgrade and pay less for a normal Win XP... I've had more headache and problems with an upgrade than any other windows installation ever! And believe me I do have a lot of PC's going through my workshop.

All you'll lose through a clean install is any installed programs, some even work after the install. (If this is unacceptable, I recommend you stay with 98 and the pirated software you don't have cd's for anymore)
But look at the gains from a clean install, it'll run faster, you will be sure there won't be any rouge drivers messing up your system, your display card would work and you can sleep better cause you won't have to stay up and try and fix all the mess the upgrade has made. Remember to convert to NTFS, much faster and reliable.

You'll just have to backup your desktop items and e-mails which lies within the windows directory that will be wiped. Search for *.dbx for emails, I think it's under windows\application data, alternatively you could just export it to a safe directory beforehand. Remember to export your address list as well, I always forget that. It's a *.wab file also somewhere under the windows directory.

Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back