Windows XP blue screen troubles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all
Being a bit of a novice when it comes to computers, I was quite upset when my new Dell Dimension 8400 crashed on me yesterday, displaying a blue screen with an error message on it.
Hoping the problem would go away (yes, stupid I know) I left my machine and returned to it today. Now my computer will not restart - I keep ending up at the blue screen. I've tried starting in safe mode, tried with most recent configuration and no luck. Sometimes it gets to the Windows XP logo page with the scrolling bar, but this moves VERY slowly and continues forever (with no activity from the hard drive).
One of the blue screen messages I got was this:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try chaging video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x805505A1, 0xF7C9AD24, 0x00000000)

I do not have a Windows XP CD as I never got one when I purchased my machine.

Hope there is someone out there who can spare some time to help me out. Please?

After a search through Microsoft, it looks like it may be your RAM. Go to http://www.memtest.org/ and try to boot with it so you can run a test. It may also be that your computer is overheating. Open your case and make sure there is a clear path for the air to come from the front, over the processor, and out the back. You could also try running the computer without the case cover on. Just watch out for Fido and Mr. Coca-Cola. Hope this helps!

Blue Screen

I have a similar error. The pc starts and when I'm open any program I get a blue screen that says: "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" with "Stop: 0x50 (0xF2790A38, 0x1, 0x80572AAC, 0x0. Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back