Windows XP boots and shuts off or gives blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

iglobal

I have windows xp pro and all of a sudden one day it shut off.

I observed the following subsequently when I re started it

1. It would sometimes boot up to the log on screen and then either shut off or give me the blue screen with messages like "video driver has failed to initialise" or just a blue screen with message that if you are getting this message for the first time please check everything and restart.

2. I checked and ensured that all fans were working. The CPU, HD fan, Power supply fan. They were working fine.

3. I removed the memory (1G ) one piece and reinserted it.

4. I went into the BIOS and checked. I found that the CPU temperature ranged from 79 degrees Centigrade at the initial start going upto 89 degrees. I found this temperature to be extremely high.

5. If there was something wrong with the motherboard, or software it would not bootup at all. I have a dual partition with XP loaded on the other partition also. With the assumption that the first XP Partition was having a problem I tried booting into the other partition, but I got the same errors of the system shutting off.

My conclusion was that it was an hardware issue of the CPU getting too hot, but I cannot see why it is happening as all the fans are working.

Would appreciate if any of you gurus could shed some light on this. Appreciate any help. Thanks

what are the specs of this system? the temperatures you said appeared in the BIOS are in fact too high (80C is the ceiling for modern processors). continued operating at these high temps can destroy the processor.

is the CPU heatsink dusty? look at it closely. if there are significant amounts of dust between the fins, i recommend using a compressed gas (such as dust-off) to clear the heatsink of obstructions. if a dust-clogged heatsink is not the problem, perhaps you should check to make sure that the heatsink itself is securely seated against the processor and is not loose. when installing a heatsink, using too much or too little thermal compound is a common cause of poor cooling.

Windows xp shuts off

Thanks for your reply. My system is fairly new and in fact was built only 3 months back by me. I checked that the fan was secure and firm and is running well. So I am at a loss as to why this is happening.

Even if the fans are spinning, that doesn't mean the CPU is staying cool. Check the heatsink to the touch. Is it hot? Is there a good connection between the CPU and Heatsink? ie. thermalpaste

I removed the cooling fan, cleaned and applied new Arctic Silver 5 paste and reinstalled the fan.

I reset the Bios/CMOS settings through the jumper.

Even after all this I notice that the temperature is still showing over 100 degrees centigrade in the Bios and if I try to allow it to boot.. it just shuts down once the windows logo shows up.

Getting really worried as to what the cause of this could be. Any help would be really appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back