Windows XP boots very slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dell latitude CPx laptop (Intel P3, 647MHz, 256MB RAM) running Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP2. It takes about 20mins to boot to the desktop but this is not the case in safe mode. During booting, when i press the enter key upon sighting the windows logo, the boot up process is sped up to about 2mins. Please can someone tell me the reason my system wont boot fast without any interference from me.

Intel P3, 647MHz, 256MB RAM
For starters, here is your main problem, although since its a laptop, its unaviodable..

Take a look at this guide to at least recover some speed to your pc..

To add further to that guide for your situation, uninstall or remove some uneccesary programs from automaticaly starting up with your pc, and turning off all the special effects and stuff (use "classic theme", no shadows, turn off the eyecandy etc).

Hardware wise, if you are able to extend the ram up to 512mb or 1gb, then do so.. it will help considerably.

The computer specifications are hardly the issue here.

What do you have running on startup? Run "msconfig" to see.

Hello Mictlantecuhtli,

At startup, i have the following running:
VP Tray
mobsync
MMKeybd
ccApp
CFD
Atiptaxx
Apoint
Yahoo. Messenger
Microsoft Office
ClientManager2
WordWeb.

Most of these applications do not make sense to me though. But i hope the information will help you advise me. I have defraged my volume but no improvement. I hope we all can find a solution to this Thanks

You could disable mobsync and "Microsoft Office" from startup items, I'm not sure about CFD.

Maybe you should post a HijackThis log to Security and the Web forum.

mobsync is used by Internet Explorer for synchronising offline files. If you don't use them, you don't need it.

"Microsoft Office" is supposed to speed up launching Office, but it doesn't really help, just takes up some memory and increases boot time.

VP Tray and ccApp are related to Symantec products, I guess your antivirus / firewall.

MMKeybd is for extra keys on your keyboard.

Atiptaxx seems to be required by the graphics adapter.

Apoint is your touchpad utility.

ClientManager2 seems to be some tool for your wireless network adapter.

you also want to add RAM - especially with a laptop. Page file swapping causes excessive hard disk use. 1GB should be the minumum with laptops also yielding lower battery life when not on AC.
You only have 256mb and windows xp is a memory hog by itself.

dowload mike lin's startup editor to stop programs from autostarting.

also freeware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back