Windows XP cannot open task manager, add or remove, view system info and etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pc was infected with Vundo, i tried to use VundoFix and it did not do the job for me. Due to that I used unlocked and forced vundo file to be deleted. Right at the instant, the pc froze. I thought it was normal because I forced it to unlock Winlogon. I restarted the pc, the window won't login, it played the startup music, but it just wont load the desktop. Then I pop in the window xp cd and tried to use repair. Nothing changed. So then, I reinstalled the window instead, a fresh install without formatting. For the first few minutes, the window worked just fine, but after a little while, window stopped functioning correctly. I tried to property my computer, it did not pop out nor any error notification. Then I reinstalled the window again. I thought it could be caused by the drivers or programs I installed so I tested opening one of those system application after every installation. Then I noticed that it could be caused by Nvidia driver, and I'm using Chaintech Geforce 7100gs. I thought it might help if I just uninstall the driver I just installed. But I cannot open add or remove neither does device manager can be opened. (None of the application in control panel can be opened either.) I even removed the card and the problem still wasnt solved. So I'm stuck, I have no idea what is causing the problem, and I've reinstalled window over and over again, its tiring me out.

(I've noticed that the 2006 released Windows xp did not cause the same problem when I installed, but I ruined the disc while trying to write on the cd with a ballpoint pen. Right now I only have 2007 released.)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It might be time to consider backing up your important data and re-formatting.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

You can force delete the driver, did you try this? Personally i think deleting the driver is the least of your worries as Windows is obviously corrupted. I would back up your data and carry out a reformat (not QUICK format as this doesnt scan all sectors of the HDD and your HDD me also be corrupted).

i've located the cause. I did another installation of the window, and this time i did not use the chaintech 7100gs but using the onboard geforce 6150LE and everything is functioning responsively.
Yet, I do not understand why graphic card affects windows processes. Most of time when bad driver installed it would corrupt system hive or showing the blue page and restarts the computer.

Also...

I was thinkin, assuming the cause of the problem is the driver for your graphics card, have you tried installing a generic driver ( one that isnt made especially for the card but will inform the OS how to use it)? I have used this approach before and it has worked out for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back