Windows xp continually reboots after any program is launched for a few seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
After booting windows xp fine, and coming up to the desktop, the desktop is stable as well...

however when any program is launched for more than few seconds (trillian, itunes, ut2k4), the computer simply reboots without any warning

tried another HD... same problem. any ideas what could cause this?

Is your pc overclocked? If so, downclock it a little to see if that helps. Have you run a decent virus scanner? A virus could certainly cause the problem you describe. And finally, open the case up and get rid of all dust as this can make the cpu, mobo, graphics card, and memmory overheat which could also cause the problem.

Hope that helps. Rik.

This could be a driver issue, or a ram problem, or even a psu problem.

First of all you need to stop Windows automatically rebooting.

To do this, right click my computer, and select properties. Then click on the advanced tab, and under startup and recovery click on settings. Under system failure make sure that you uncheck the automatically restart box. Now click ok then apply then ok, and reboot your system.

Now instead of Windows rebooting when there`s a problem, you should receive an error message(bsod)telling you what caused the problem.

Pay particular attention to any drivers identified in the stop message.

If you don`t understand the error message then post it here and we`ll take a look at it for you. Please include all the numbers.

Finally please go HERE and read my post.

Thanks. Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

same problem here

I have been having a similar problem with my computer. After it is fully booted up a few seconds later it restarts itself. So what I do is start it in safe mode. Then after it is booted up I simply do a soft restart(Start >Turn Off Computer > Restart). After that it starts normally and runs fine. The problem does reoccur if I shut the computer all the way down though. I don't know if you could get your computer on to troubleshoot, but maybe this will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back