Windows xp crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me start by saying I am a complete ***** when it comes to computers. I hope somebody can help, but also put it into laymans terms. About 6mo ago I began getting the BSOD crashes on my comp. It was only happening 1 or 2 times per day so I was not that bothered by it. In the last week it happens almost 10 times a day, whether I am on the computer or it sits idol. I have tried to run windows debugger but that did not help in letting me know the problem. I have enclosed a couple of the mini-dump files.

side note: I know it has to be hardware because about 3months ago I did a total reboot of the system, and it still happened. That would have eliminated any software issue, so that is why I am thinking hardware.

Please help and thanks in advance:

The zip file includes the minidumps from today. 6 so far and it is only 1pm

I might have discovered the problem just by looking around this board. I am running speedfan to see the temp. Here is what I am looking at:

fan1- 0rpm hdo-39c
fan2-0rpm temp1 -51c

that has 2 be a problem right?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

terpnsteelerfan said:
would help if I included the minidumps

You could`ve clicked on the edit button and attached them to your first post.

4 minidumps crash with hardware and reference SYMTDI.SYS. This is the Symantec Network Dispatch Driver. They have a bugcheck of D1 and reference CPU_CALL_ERROR. This is nearly always caused by a hardware problem. Faulty ram/mobo/psu/video card.

1 minidump crashes at ntoskrnl.exe. This is the Windows bootup kernel file. it has a bugcheck of 17.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

51c is fairly high but not badly so, I'd say its not temperature that's causing your problem. Have you done anti virus and antispyware scans recently? If so, what did you use?
Scandisking and defragging would be a good idea too.
Do all of that then see if the problem persists.

thanks howard. I am reading through the thread you directed me to, and trying to make sense of it all. I appreciate the input. I have run antispyware and antivirus from Norton. If you have something better(I am sure it is out there) I would be willing to try. I just did a defrag last night, and as you can see I am still having problems.

thanks for your help

Get rid of that norton crap, it causes far more problems than it fixes, get any other antispayware and antivirus software.
Doing that alone coud well fix your pc.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 AVG Free Edition (Anti-Virus)

http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html Ad-Aware Personal (anti-spyware)

Yea Norton does really suck, its processes use to much memory. AVG does just as good or better at catching the viruses and it doesn't use near as much memory. I've only had one try to get on this computer and it caught it instantly.
Seriously, once you uninstall Norton you'll say "Woah, this thing runs alot faster" :p

The key points in Howard's thread are the PSU issue and the memtest86.
A crappy overworked straining power supply unit (PSU) can cause multiple simulated hardware failures.
Bad or failing RAM (or just plain incompatible) causes 60% (OMA) of all BSODs.
Finally overheating of the CPU or GPU (graphics processor unit) round out the nice collection of common hrdware BSODs.
Not to be left out completely, HDD failures will also cause BSOD (stop codes 24, 77 and 7A&7B), but they are much easier to spot and diagnose.

To check your PSU specs: open the case and look at the numbers on the side label. Watts. Also look at the Amps (A) under/beside which of the voltage outputs: 12V and 5V. Should be something like 12V@15A and 5V@22A. Also dwnload Speedfan. This will read your active voltage and can tell us if your PSU is straining.

For your memory checks, you can only do what Howard says as posted in his link. This is really the BEST way to test your RAM.

CPU-Z freeware can tell us your system specs (mobo, CPU etc.) so we can have a deeper look at your problem. Dwnload it and post bck the list it makes.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back