Windows Xp doesn't go beyond Wallpaper on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

This morning I installed a new version of google desktop. It asked me to restart, I did.
Here the problems began. Windows XP family edition, loads the wallpaper and then nothing, no toolbar no icons.

I can go to Task manager though the majority of the startup programs are loaded, but when i try to start a new task---> explorer.exe the Start toolbar appears briefly (< 1 sec) and then disappears.

Anyway I tried to boot in the safe mode, same problem even safe mode doesn't want to load beyod wallpaper. I'm pretty sure it's the google desktop thing, but I can't think of a way for uninstalling it, Any Ideas ?

Thank you

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

When you press the F8 key, in the list of option for safe mode, safemode with networking etc. Try choosing last known good config. See if that helps.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

hey nickc and howard thanks for the tips but in fact I can't go into windows nickc, so I can forget about add / remove programs.

Howard I'll try this when I get home.
I even tried to go to msconfig and Uncheck the google desktop from the startup configuration and that didn't work, anyway i'll keep you guys updated.

Keep on throwing the ideas @ me plz.

thank you.

you can try system restore to "last working configuration" in safe mode and go back to the day, when your pc worked properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back