Windows XP firewall errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbeaudet

Can anyone help me? I cannot start the Windows Firewall. When i try to, it asks me if i would like to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service. When i click yes, it says it cannot start the service. When i try to start it in services and command prompt, i get an error: A system error has occurred. System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied. Is there a way around this or to fix this?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It`s possible that you have some malware on your system that`s stopping the Windows firewall from starting. If you don`t mind me saying this, Windows firewall is total crap, you`d be far better off installing one of the free Firewall programmes in this thread HERE.

In any case, I`d like to check your system for any nasties. Go and read this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of cbeaudet only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

thanks a lot...i have heard that windows firewall is worthless...but i would like to have windows firewall AND A personal firewall just to be safe.

i attached the log

The reason you can`t start the Windows firewall, is because you`re running the Mcafee firewall. This will automatically disable the Windows firewall as it is not recommended to have more than one software firewall running at the same time, due to conflicts.

NEW.NET
Click Start/Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs and uninstall anything to do with New.net Application or New.net Domains
If neither is listed, download and run this: www.new.net/support/uninstall6_38.exe

Then, go HERE and follow the instructions for AVG Antispyware and Combofix.

Post a fresh HJT log as well as AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of cbeaudet only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back