Windows XP Firewall is Missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with my firewall and every time I try to access it I get an ICS service not started. I try to start it under services I am told it is marked for deletion what can I do besides reload SP2 or Windows.

how is this machine hooked up to the network? do you use a router? do any other computers connect through the internet through this one?

Firewall

It is hooked up to a router that is hooked up to a DSL Modem, There is also a Sever hooked up as a file server/shared drive. the firewall was on a week ago and the my brother was on the line with a tech for Panda and they told him to turn off the Firewall and it has not been seen sense.

you do not need to run ICS if the other machines are connecting thru the router, which is the way it should be.

firewall

The main problem that I'm having is that I'm trying to push Panda antivirus to this computer from the server like the rest of the computers in his office, it starts out like it sees the computer and then I get an error in the file transfer. I have tried to run spyware and antivirus checks and it did not find any major problems.

Ok, when I click on the firewall in the control panel I get a message that the ICS service is not started, I go in to the services option and when I try to start it I get a message telling me that it is marked for deletion. How do I get it re started? Will a reload of Service pack 2 help or do I need to reload windows or what?

Have you disabled any start-ups? If a service will not start it is usually due to a dependent service being disabled or not started.
Check in msconfig on the PC and make sure normal start-up is enabled and that services and startups have no disabled apps.

you can get a more detailed look at services thru your control panel:
start > control panel > administrative tools > services

firewall

It is in the services window where it show the firewall service is stopped and when I try and start it a pop up box shows the file is marked for deletion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back