Windows XP freeze at boot screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
My computer freeze at the windows XP boot logo. I then press the power button and it restart to get me to a screen where I have the option of save mode, last good boot, etc. plus the normal boot option. I hit enter for the normal boot option and windows start up fine. This cycle repeat every time I turn off the computer and restart it.
Any know why this is happening? thanks for any help.

Extra info: computer is an eMachine T3101 sempron 3100+ which I installed 2 new 512 MB sticks of RAM and a new hard drive. I also plugged in a USB keyboard. Everything appear to work fine once windows starts.

Hey man, that same exact problem has been ocurring with me as well. I don't believe I may have tampered with anything too important, but I haven't found a solution to stop this annyoing problem. Everything else runs fine once i start the computer once I would have had to press the power button on and off to bring me to that screen you described. I am just as willing to know what the hell is wrong, so keep me updated with a reply also. Thanks.

Dnx237,

It's possible one of the 3 changes you made could be causing your symptoms...in no particular order i would check the following:

1) Make sure that RAM is a type that your MBoard supports...
2) Go back to a PS2 keyboard...
3) Enter the BIOS at boot-up and make sure it is recognising the new HDD...

patio. :cool:

Thanks for the reply. Its appears to happen only once in a while now, so I am willing to live with it until I have the itch to fidget with it again. Regarding your response:
1) RAM type is correct
2) The keyboard might be it
3) The HDD installed fine in the BIOS and usable in windows.

I want to get some Wireless keyboard and mouse later. Wonder if I am asking for some more trouble.

patio said:
Dnx237,

It's possible one of the 3 changes you made could be causing your symptoms...in no particular order i would check the following:

1) Make sure that RAM is a type that your MBoard supports...
2) Go back to a PS2 keyboard...
3) Enter the BIOS at boot-up and make sure it is recognising the new HDD...

patio. :cool:

Me too

I am having this same problem and have been searching for answers and came upon this thread. My system typically requires two boot attempts to get into XP Pro SP2. Some times it takes three or four attempts, but usually the second time works. Some times the system makes me run check disk before going into XP after a failed boot attempt. Once in XP everything is fine. If I reboot after the system has been running it boots OK too. It seems to only have the problem when the system is cold. The hard drive does make noises like the heads are parking or something during boot up so I ran the HD manufacturer's thorough test utility and it reported no errors. I replaced the HD any way and moved my image over using Norton Ghost. Problem remains. New hard drive makes similar noises during boot up, but it is a quieter drive. :approve: I have not reinstalled XP yet because of the pain of reinstalling everything and moving files and settings. These seem like a hardware type issue because it is only when it is booted up cold. My next thought is the power supply having trouble getting going. I have a good one though - Antec TruePower 430. So I hope that is not it. I’ll probably try reinstalling XP next because it is the easiest and cheapest.

If anyone has a breakthrough on this please share it.

My config:
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton)
Biostar M7NCD Pro (nforce2)
Kingston 512MB PC3200 X 2 in dual channel mode (1GB)
Nvidia Geforce4 Ti4200 64MB
Seagate ST3160023A 160GB
Plextor DVD-RW+/- PX-716A
Benq 16x DVD-ROM
1.44 floppy
Antec TruePower 430
Windows XP Pro (SP2)
Norton AV 2002

same thing happened to me... the logo thing with the blue loading thing froze and it wouldnt start up... turns out it was the processor... :knock:

Mine turned out to be the power supply. I started pressing the "Del" key at boot up and going into the BIOS and letting the system sit for a few minutes to warm up. Then I would exit the BIOS without saving any changes and let it boot up and it did not freeze. So then I removed the power supply and replaced it with my old one that came with the case and there was no boot problem. So I sent my power supply to Antec and they sent me a new one. So far so good. It did cost me $12 to ship the bad power supply back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back