Windows XP freezes at Updating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows XP freezes at Automatic update process while scanning I believe. Same thing happens to Steam when I try to log in. I have no idea what's the cause and I can't fix it for months now. Reinstalling Windows isn't an option, so does anyone know what's the reason for this and what should I do? The suggestion I'm looking for isn't how to get Windows updates in an alternative way, but how to fix the problem itself.

What happens is this: basically the computer keeps working and everything works until I click it, then it just freezes. I can still move that window for a while, then the explorer gets stuck as well and I'm forced to reboot. Task manager doesn't work as well.

There are some anomalies that cause the freeze on a lot of Windows setups... Usually there are special updates you can download. You might want to take a look at the Microsoft knowledgebase for some of these.
We were able to install some downloads from microsoft designed to fix this issue, and the problem never again reared its ugly head.

raybay said:
There are some anomalies that cause the freeze on a lot of Windows setups... Usually there are special updates you can download. You might want to take a look at the Microsoft knowledgebase for some of these.
We were able to install some downloads from microsoft designed to fix this issue, and the problem never again reared its ugly head.

I tried looking for a solution or a patch that fixes it, but couldn't find anything related to the problem. Anything I find is about the update itself freezing and stopping the updating process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back