Windows XP freezes in splash screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a problem with my XP. When I'm starting XP, the computer freezes in splash screen and landing bar stops.

Then, I restart manually several times, and finally xp starts to work properly!!!

I think that It's a hard drive failure because sometimes I listen a strange noise, like a whistle, before the computer freezes. Nevertheless, when the computer runs ok, the hard drive work correctly.

Did anyone happens this freezing?

Thanks in advance.

You can get the programme SpeedFan from the downloads section here on TechSpot. That will tell you if your hard drive has a problem and it will also monitor voltages and temperatures.
If you go to its S.M.A.R.T. section you can also do an online in-depth analysis of your hard drive and this may come in handy.

Open the windows Explorer (Windows Key + E)

Right click on your "C:\" drive and select properties. click on tools. click on "check now" under "Error Checking." It will probably reboot and check the disk.

If you can't get into it, use the XP CD to boot into the recovery console (this process is described... everywhere) and run chkdsk -f.

If you don't have the CD, use someone elses machine to check your disk. If the other machine has problems recognizing the drive in the Windows Explorer, or if it hangs on the other machine, or if it says "this drive needs to be formatted" in the storage management properties (right click My Computer, go to manage, go to storage...), the drive may have serious errors.

Immediately back up the data (my documents, desktop, favorites), regardless.

Checkdisk works wonders.

Shane
http://www.myspace.com/shanebarber

ahhh..after 5 years it finally happened to me..

it freezes at windows xp loading screen..so then i reboot via CD to recovery console. i run the chkdsk and it says there is an error. so im just reformatting everything. i deleted the partition and created a new one. now resintalling windows. you think its time for a new hdd? or should i wait til install is done then run the SpeedFan.

(eMachines T5026 - 160GB HDD - 1GB RAM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back