Windows XP Freezes when it gets to Login screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a old Latitude, that has neither a floppy drive nor a CD drive. Now, you might wonder how I got XP onto it in the first place, but with a few strokes of luck (namely, CD emulation and copying WinXP.ISO onto the laptop harddrive) I managed to install it.

The problem is that it freezes when I get to login screen. If I boot in safe mode, everything's fine. If I boot it normal mode, I can begin to type my password if I'm fast enough, but then it freezes.

I thought it's the Services, so I disabled all but 5 of them; no luck. I did manage to get it working once, but I really don't remember doing anything differently, other than having it Docked/Undocked (Undocking Suspends it; maybe that did something? I don't have the Dock anymore). I tried installing both WinXP Pro and WinXP Pro w/SP2. Always the same thing.

Any clues for how to proceed?

Hey Olego, did you ever figure out what is wrong with your computer because I am having the same problem. Thanks.

Andy

Hey Andy,

It worked when I pressed F8 when booting Windows and selected "Use Last Known Configuration". Somehow, that let me log in - and I've been using the laptop for over 2 years now!

Hope it helps :),

~Olego~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back