Windows XP frequent restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have this bewildering auto-restart problem (with 'clacking' sound from inside the PC right before it restarts). My minidump attachment is on the 3rd or 4th post since I am unable to attach it from my first posting to this forum

From my side, here are some observations/info on this 'problem':

Info: The PC is a P4 with 1GB DDR RAM. Two IDEs connected to two Western Digital hard disks. Another two IDEs were connected to Samsung DVD ROM and TDK CDRW. Oddly, only one of the two CD/DVD drives can be detected by Windows. I removed the IDE from TDK CDRW so that I can use the Samsung DVD ROM to play movies. The movies were often found sluggish and stuttering, and worse, resulted in auto-restart.
My step: I disconnected both the IDEs for Samsung DVD ROM and TDK CDRW. So the PC IDEs are only connected to the two HDDs. Auto-restart still occurs.

Another observation and step taken:

Info: One of the auto-restarts gave me a Windows error message "Your computer has just recovered from a serious error" and when I clicked "Send Report to Microsoft", there is a Microsoft website diagnostic page that says some problem related to my CA eTrust Antivirus.
My step: I uninstalled CA eTrust Antivirus and put in !Avast Home Edition, which is said to be the best AV software out there. The random auto-restart still occurs although the Windows error message "Your computer has just recovered from a serious error" no longer appears.

Another step:
Info: Suspected of virus/worm/trojan problem which can also result in random auto-restart.
My step: I did a comprehensive scan by !Avast Home Edition and it did find a Win32:Trojan of some sort. I quarantined the infected file(s) but auto-restart still occurs. I decided to delete the infected files afterwards. Auto-restart still occurs.

My minidump file. Please check and see what the gurus here can find. Thanks!

A side note, I tried to use WINDBG program and thus far, the culprit seems either VETEFILE.SYS or VET-FILT.SYS by CA eTrust Antivirus

But after I uninstalled CA eTrust Antivirus, I often get ntkrnlmp.exe as the blaming party. Quite confused already.

Any help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back