Windows XP hangs when USB devices are plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroGloop

I have a problem when I boot up my computer. Whenever I start my computer with USB devices plugged in, it hangs right before it gets to the log in screen (after the loading bar has gone away) the screen just stays black for about 5 minutes before going to the login screen.
This problem only happens when I have two USB devices plugged in, My Saitek Eclipse keyboard and my Razer Viper mouse. I have no Idea what's causing this, can anybody help?

Oh and my computer specs if anyone finds it useful:

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Service pack 2
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
1.50GB DDR RAM
Radeon 9600 Pro

Yes, i used to have this problem too. It applies with many plugin hardware...... including ipods. The problem is that there is no solution... sadly it is a kind of bug in windows... BUT with some devices that it hangs with this can be fixed.

To do this make sure that you use the install disk for the USB device... if it has one. If not then still make sure that it goes through a full install wizard in windows by goin ctrl panel...add hardware.

That shud do it. Try reinstallin it then get bak 2 me. If that doesnt work then i have another solution but it isnt 100% so that is why i am asking you to do this first.

I went into the add hardware wizard, but it wont let me install as it says 'This hardware is installed and is working correctly'

Thats ok then, you just need to uninstall it first or back up the information on it and then use windows to format it.

Just one thing, how much mem, does it have?

Sjbrand99 said:
Thats ok then, you just need to uninstall it first or back up the information on it and then use windows to format it.

Just one thing, how much mem, does it have?

How much memory does what have?
I'm using a USB keyboard and mouse.

Sorry i wasn;t thinking, -what are your pc specs.
Have you got ur BIOS correctly set, im no gd wiv editing them though but your pc still has methods of fixing your problem.

I think you should get a non-USB keyboard and mouse, or you can reinstall windows and see what that does.

Try unpluging and pluging back in the devices (mouse and keyboard) if that helps with no avil, then try different usb ports.

(no offence)
The last few comments I would say are a bit of rubish.

sw123 said:
I think you should get a non-USB keyboard and mouse, or you can reinstall windows and see what that does.

That just gave me a thought, I might have a usb to PS2 converter. I could try using that on my keyboard or mouse and that could solve my problem.

EDIT: Well, I found one but it doesn't solve the problem. I tried it with the keyboard and the mouse and still no change.

Check for new drivers for your keyboard and mouse at their manufacturer's website.

Also, you might be able to rule one out as a problem by uninstalling one and seeing if it happens, reinstalling then uninstalling the other.

Check for new drivers for your keyboard and mouse at their manufacturer's website.
The mouse and keyboard are both plug and play, no additional drivers required.

I was experimenting with different USB devices and I found out that if any USB device is plugged in, it hangs.

Well then, check for issues and/or driver updates for USB ports relating to your mobo.

Also, i have no idea if it will work but you can try it if you like. Uninstall SP2 (if you can). SP2 in XP has causes me problems before.

You probably have bad USB port drivers. Try installing new drivers for your USB ports. They are sometimes found in the manufacturer's website. Also, a USB to PS2 converter might work, because if it doesnt help, try redownloading drivers.

While you're at it,

Make sure you are not trying to boot from any USB devices. Cool how newer versions of BIOS can boot from USB Device! But yeah ... there's not a more valid reason for why your PC hangs from USB devices!

Does it hang when you plug a USB device into your PC while you are in a Windows session?

mikescorpio81 said:
While you're at it,

Make sure you are not trying to boot from any USB devices. Cool how newer versions of BIOS can boot from USB Device! But yeah ... there's not a more valid reason for why your PC hangs from USB devices!

Does it hang when you plug a USB device into your PC while you are in a Windows session?

No, it only hangs when booting, I can insert and remove USB devices anytime I wish while the computer is in Windows.

I also checked the boot sequence and USB is not in there.

in bios disable stop on errors
most newer bios have this in one form or another
xp has this option to in my computer, properties,advanced setting

Samstoned said:
in bios disable stop on errors
most newer bios have this in one form or another
xp has this option to in my computer, properties,advanced setting

I checked the BIOS and set it to 'halt on no errors' but this did not solve the problem.

I had a look in the attic, and I found a PCI card that has 2 USB ports on it. I installed it and plugged my Keyboard and mouse into it and it starts up fine now, but whenever I put it back into my motherboard USB ports and boot up, it hangs.

This will be fine for me now, in the future I will update my motherboard drivers, but at the moment there is no need.

Thanks for the help.

Then it probably wasnt your PSU...but how many devices do you have plugged in? How much wattage do they use? Sorry to pester you with a solved problem though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back