Windows xp Hard-Drive-Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
the hard drive on my sony vaio is split c drive is 14g d drive is 130g
it came from the factory set up like this. everything i down load or programs i add go to c drive and i am showing c is nearly full. while d remains nearly empty. how do i fix this so i can use all this memory that is just sitting there.

perhaps i should add to this post.. my computer is about 3 yrs old sony vaio desk top with hyper thread. it suposedly had 160g of memory. i don't add a lot of programs or files. but recently i went to defrag it and thats when i got a msg that i was working with less than 15 percent memory.. so i cleaned out some stuff and got it back up to 20 percent.. but meanwhile my system reads

C: partition basic NTFS 13.97 capacity 2.49 free
D: Partition basic NTFS 129.07 capacity 126.76 free
unnamed partition NTFS 6.10 capactity (i assume this is the memory the o.s. uses?) 2.09 free

i know just enough about a computer to destroy is so im very wary of getting into something that i can't fix as im just a moderate user.. but seems to me i have a lot of memory that i am not able to use without doing something. is there an easy fix? thanks again for your help...

You may use the Norton PartitionMagic 8.0 to fix this by having it merge your both partitions in one.

However, I don't understand why your retailer wants to do the 14G/130G ?

By judging the space you have, that is, 175G, approx which it isn't existed yet.

So my second conclusion is that you are running two hard drives, or a three partitions, one is hidden by the factory default. I suggest you to be extremely careful with the hidden partition. They are most likely to be the recovery partition, which we recommend you not to touch it at all.

why dont you just move some files to D drive
or
copy new data to D drive instead of C Drive?
or are you asking help for creating a single partition?

yes you don't have to accept the default root drive to run programs from
there are some programs that demand c drive
but most don't
if you still have the exe setup for these programs uninstall from c and place them in d or what ever letter the larger area is
you can try migrate the stuff takes longer and does not always work
make new folder in other partition (my_run_apps) or something place them here.
right now I would not try to do a partition join would not help at all
and can mess up your OS
get froggy start fresh
if you have install disc(OS)reformat the whole drive make 1st partition about 20gb leave rest for apps and data storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back