Windows XP logon problem - AVG virus vault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm having problems with my (other) computer ever since i performed a virus scan using AVG Free, and i told it to put the file:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

in the virus vault. It then restarted the computer but when it got to the point where the logon screen should appear it restarted itself again. I have managed to get it started in safe mode but when i try to restore the file from the vault it doesn't have any affect. Also, the file is still listed as in the vault and I don't understand what else I can do to get it out of the vault!!!!

Any help here would be hugely appreciated because the only option I can see at the moment is entirely resetting everything.

Thanks,

Barry

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Boot into safe mode and try a system restore to before you removed the winlogon.exe file.

You could also try choosing the last known good config that worked option.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks for the help.

I tried that and did a system restore before the incident but unfortunately there is absolutely no difference!!!!!!

Any other ideas? I think my best bet may be to try and get it out of the virus vault for which my efforts are rewarded with a slap in the face and a lot of frustration on my part!!! Any clue how i can do this? obviously i have tried where it gives me the option to restore the file.

AVG free is safe to use, the only problem he had was that he quarantined one of window's crucial system files.. and you know what that means..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back