Windows XP: Many desktop icons disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranq

Hi,
I just got back from vacation for 4-5 days and I just got back and i have "holes" all over my desktop, because the equivalent of probably 2 or 3 rows has been deleted off my desktop,it was almost full and now there is a considerable amount of spac eleft. I even checked in desktop under my documents and settings. I'm temporarily running a 2MB ATI Mach64 while my x800 is out for RMA, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Add on- Also, some files have been deleted

LoL

Kinda weird aint it ? I think you have been subjected to windows "desktop cleanup" it automatically (if enabled) removes any unused or barley used Icons from the desktop. Make sure it is disabled its disabled and just click and drag them back onto your desktop from start-programs.

yea its prolly the desktop cleanup wizard... happened to me once... pain in da assssss.. i had to open everythng frm the start menu.

If it's the desktop clean-up wizard, it picks up the shortcuts/files and stores them in a folder called "unused desktop items" (or sumthng similar) on the desktop itself...
just cut paste your icons back from there....
Also disable desktop cleanup wizard

well i didnt get the unused desktop[ icons folder but i get the feeling that it was the wizard because it was enabled...oh well it's not like half the icons on my desktop actually mean anything. I just dragged em back on though. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back