Windows XP, new user

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I have been using W98 2nd edition and have just replaced my computer...new one has XP.
It took me a long while to find out about generic problems in the W98 system...especially the shutdown problem.
Can anyone give advice on what problems I will be in for with XP and what should be changed in the os to make the system run easier. Like removing the pw and sign in page and welcome page. I am not comfortible with going in the registry.
Thanks for your help. :confused:

for the password stuff you can easily fix that with the powertoys you can dl from microsofts website. XP should run pretty decent right out of the box, there are entire sites dedicated to optimizing how an OS runs though, so I'd just suggest you do a google search for that, unless you have some specific issues/questions.

Originally posted by huck
I am not comfortible with going in the registry.

Good that you mentioned that, it was the first place I would have sent you. If you aren't comfortable going in the registry, there are many utilities out there that will change the relavent keys for you. TweakUI which is part of the PowerToys SNGX mentioned, can change some things. You might also want to check out the utility at www.winguides.com

there is also a very good Tweak guide here at TS.

There are hundreds of programs that controll the registry for you. Go to google.com and type "Windows ## tweak" "download" I have discovered many programs that edit many different things that allow me to control me computer better, and make it FASTER. Good luck, and try many programs, everybody has a preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back