Windows XP not opening

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently tried putting McAfee on my computer. It said I had a version of XP that was not a valid copy. I went and bought a Windows XP program. When i went to upload it, it would get to the Windows XP title page with the scrolling status bar at the bottom and freeze up. I thought it was a bad hard drive and went out and bought a new one. The same thing happened. What can be causing this?

Not only do you need to mount the harddrive
You also need to re-install Windows

Your best option is to Format
Then Re-Install Windows

If this is what you are doing (or have done)
You may need to run Memtest or at least reseat or the cables/drives and Ram in your computer.

The last option would be to reseat your CPU (but this requires experience and thermal paste)
This could also be a hardware fault, like your Power Supply (strangely)

kimsland, My wife is trying the suggestions you have provided. I want to add one more thing, my computer will allow me to upload the invalid copy of XP and run it, It just doesn't want to let me run a valid copy (freezes at the title screen everytime, doen't even open up to the desktop). I don't know if this will help in narrowing the problem down but I thought I would throw that tidbit in.
Thanks for your suggestions, I will let you know if it works.

I'm not exactly sure which way you're going here.
Are you:
Installing Windows (over the top of your current Windows -ie Repair)
Installing Windows fresh (ie clean install)
Not installing Windows?

If you are just installing McAfee (and it's faulting) you do not need to re-install Windows

So why I did I say to do that?
Because you said that you bought a new HardDrive, and also Microsoft Windows Xp

Can you please clear that up?
What exactly are you doing?

This is where I am at now.

I am trying to install Windows fresh, on a new hard drive.

When the Windows title page displays on the screen, the blue cursors in the status bar makes three passes and the computer freezes up. It never gets to the desktop where I can choose start/programs. No error message pops up on the screen either.

Actually also check the jumper on the back of any ATA harddrive or CDrom drive is set for CS (if it set for CS Cable Select) try Master instead)
It is possible the CD/DVD drive can cause this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back