Windows XP not recognizing second GB of RAM (DDR setup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there - just built a new computer and installed 2 1GB sticks of Mushkin memory in banks 2 & 3. When I boot, it recognizes both gigs and notes DDR is enabled. But XP is only registering 1 gb...

If it helps, these are the technical details/models involved:

Mushkin Dual Pack 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

Albatron "KX18D PROII" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU

AMD Athlon XP 2700+, 333MHz FSB, 256K Cache Processor

Any ideas? Thanks!!

I guess I should have clarified - yes, the BIOS setup recognizes it and, within the first 10 lines shown on bootup, it's also listed. It's just XP that doesn't register the second Gb.

It actually doesn't do a count that I can see - a friend (who I can't get hold of) has the same MB and CPU (diff memory) and says his goes so fast he doesn't even see the count - just the result so... ??

Additional info

Sorry - I'm a newb - I have it set up (I think?) to use the MBs dual channel capabilities but I'm only seeing 1gb of my 2gbs in XP (while the bootup and BIOS infor shows 2 gb). Had DDR and dual-channel mixed up...

Thanks...
---------
Another newb question:
Is this 1gb? or 2GB? I'm thinking 1 and now wondering why my BIOS/boot screen says 2??
Mushkin Dual Pack 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

I think you have many things confused. It seems you are using two modules of 512mb each totalling 1024mb or 1 GB. The only nForce2 board with 4 memory slots is one by Gigabyte & it isn't the one you're using.

That's what I was starting to think per above - I was looking at Mushkin's site and reviewing their products and started putting two and two together.

A techy friend helped me put together my shopping list and I think I remember having a discussion about staying with 1 gb as my old system had.

Thanks for helping this newb... :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back