windows XP os dissappared.Please help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

discipleofgonzo

I travelled to Brighton today and moved into my new flat. I powered up my laptop then was delighted to be told that my wireless modem card had found a nearby link. I was surfing the net, overjoyed that i would be able to watch the football as a live BBC one internet broadcast. everthing was going better than I had expected. After an hour on the net I turned off the laptop and rode to the shops to get some mayonaise. When I returned I switched on the laptop and was dismayed then downright livid to discover that there was 'no operating system found'. i restarted many times but the same routine appeared....
'initializing MBA..press ctrl alt and B to configure'

then
a load of bull**** referring to a pre-boot sequence which I have never seen before on my laptop :
'Argon PXE boot sequence'
then finally i get stuck with the one liner which sums it all up
'operating system not found'

So, I thought '*bleep* it, i have lost all my pics and letters but I do happen to have a copy of windows with me'. i tried to run setup but when it got to the stage of checking the hard drives available in order to determine where to install the operating system, the setup program shows the partition as :

38155 MB Disk 0 at id 0 on bus 0 on atapi
<setup cannot access this disk.>

And any move I make from there turns the screen blue, displaying an error message complete with this technical information:

***stop: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0xF74DECAD, OxF70937E4, 0x00000000)
*** setupdd.sys- Address F47DECAD base at F74B2000, Datestamp 41107c8f

Any help at all on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
if anybody has the knowledge to decipher the problem into layman's talk, please find me on lupo7777777@hotmail.com

cheers
Discipleofgonzo

PS. this was the first time I have ever made use of the wireless connection..is that relevant?

I had a customer who had the same problem only thing is his was not a laptop but ok get into your bios see if it picks up your hdd if not then your cable to the hdd could of gotten lose or is just now bad or your hdd is broken

Where you running a firewall, antivirus will on the net?
How old is your system?

Install your installation disk and do a manual repair with CHKDSK /R

and we will go from there

Is your HDD recognized in your BIOS? Can you get to safe mode?

i can't get into bios as i do not know the password. I bought thelaptop secondhand at the start of this year. I was running kaspersky.
I was hoping to find the battery which powers the bios pword memory but the laptop doesn't seem to come apart as easily as my previous desktop PCs!

It is a HP pavillion ze4200.

Also...
this was the first time I used my wireless connection. When i googled 'Argon boot sequence' (which I have never seen before when booting my laptop), i found lots of information about network booting...Is that anything to do with the problem????
Please keep your suggestions and guidance coming! I rode 100 miles home so that I could use my mother's internet to try get some help. Anything to try before biting the bullet and presenting my laptop to a computer shop who will wipe out my savings within an hour?

ok try this when you start the laptop press esc a few times till you get a black screen it should list your cd rom hdd ram and other stuff

I can access the boot menu using the esacpe key.
I am given options
1.Cd Rom drive
2. +Hard Drive
3. +removable Devices
4. Built in LAN

I have tried booting from the hard drive but still it goes ONLY to the ARGON PXE routine. It refuses to recognize the hard drive...

ok do this download DFT(drive fitness test) you can put it on a floppy or burn iso image to cd put cd into the laptop and reboot press esc and select to boot from cd do an advance test when it is done post the code you get ex 0x00,0x72 and i will let you know if your hdd has died on you

No I cannot disable the LAN. And even though the hard drive option has a + next to it, like the removable devices option, I cannnot alter any of those settings.

I am downloading the CD image of DFT and will post my results as soon as I get them.

A friend told me that because I booted the laptop with the wireless card in, used the wireless card on the net for the first time then shut down with the card still in the laptop, for some reason it has changed the settings to boot only from the removable wireless card. But without access to BIOS i can't do much about it.

anyway, maybe that makes some sense to you tech Pros...and for now I will carry on with the advised DFT test.

cheers for your continued assistance!

Damn it...that program got through to starting an advanced test but then told me
'device is password protected and cn not be tested
disposition code = 0x22

0X22 as it says it is protected and cant read the disk ok you said you have an hp have you tried the i think F10 wich should be umm... system recovery wich sets it to a brand new pc

try this to unlock your bios

http://www.pwcrack.com/bios.shtml I dont think I will get in trouble for posting this as you are the owner for this laptop if I cant post sorry ahead of time

but i don't think the HD is the problem. The problem appears to be a refusal to boot from the HD???

And is there any truth to what my friend told me about the network card changing settings so that BIOS thinks it must boot from the network card which results in the ARGON PXE business???

S.M.A.R.T operations are all good. There is an option in the utilities menu of the DFT program to erase the disk...

as to what your freind said yes read the following

Managed PC Boot Agent (MBA) Boot ROM is client-based firmware that enables client PCs to access and boot from boot image files on a server.

MBA Boot Rom includes PXE boot agent
Streamlines networked desktop management, improves network security and cuts client administration costs.
Supports multiple boot protocols and network environments, such as: the Wired for Management specification's Preboot Execution Environment (PXE), NetWare NCP/IPX (802.2, 802.3, Ethernet II), IBM's RPL, traditional DHCP and BOOTP.
Available as a boot ROM chip for NICs, as a binary file for integration into a system BIOS (e.g. for LAN-on-motherboard implementations), or as a bootable floppy disk or CD.
Many configurable boot options to enable client PCs to use MBA in various system and network environments.
Network managers can remotely manage their networks, eliminating costly visits to the desktops

Everything that appears on the Drive information screen looks in order....
a selection:

write cache:enabled
Read look-ahead:enabled
Auto re-assing:enabled
S.M.A.R.T OPERATION: ENABLED
S.M.A.R.T. STATUS: GOOD
ABLE: ENABLED
ABLE VALUE: 128 (80H)
SECURITY FEATURE: SUPPORTED
PASSWORD: SET
PASSWORD LEVEL: HIGH
SECURITY MODE : LOCKED

uLTRA DMA
HIGHEST MODE:5
ACTIVE MODE:5

CAPACITY 40.1GB
CACHE SIZE 1768KB
ATA COMPLIANCE ATA-5

I really don\t want to lose all the data stored in the HD if it still exists!!!
any other ideas??

does what my mate told me seem plausible then??

And if i take my laptop to a computer shop tomorrow and explain the situation, will they be able to solve the issue quickly and cheaply??

that link you gave me makes it sound like a chip needs to be taken out of the motherboard!!!!which is serious and no doubt ultra costly??

no they are back door codes that mobo makers put for problems where they cant get in also look at the above post as for what your freind said. I dont know how much a pc repair shop will charge you

The system is trying to boot from the network because it has tried the first 3 options (FDD, CD, HDD) and failed. Forget that symptom for now.

Some laptops suddenly start asking for a BIOS password. This can usually be reset by shorting a couple of pins on the mobo. It can also indicate a HDD failure. If it boots from a diskette or CD, I'd suspect the HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back