Windows XP Password help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sroot17

I'm assuming that this is the work of some sort of Trojan or some other virus that was downloaded onto my family’s computer.

When starting up Windows XP it takes an extremely long time to get to the login screen. When you click on a user to sign in as, it is asking for a password. Passwords were never assigned to any user in the past. When you click ok without typing anything into the box the screen changes and a notice pops up saying

Logon Message
The system cannot log you on now because the domain DUNIT is not available.

If you hit the ok button you go back to the login screen are and stuck back where you started. I think I can wipe out whatever is causing this using the methods detailed in this thread https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/ which I used before on a different computer but I need to be able to get into windows, at least in safe mode, before I can do anything. I've tried using a boot disk but it just gets me to a command prompt without the local drive loaded so I can't go anywhere. I've also tried booting into safe mode with no luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Are you trying to hack your system?

If so this is what you can do

Insert a windows 98 boot disk, when command prompt comes up type format c:

I'm just trying to get into the system. I do not want to have to fomat the hard drive or reinstall the OS, that would be my last resort.

You can't get into your system, if your the administrator and did not install the passwords then you need to reformat.

I never heard of a virus getting on your system and installing a password before, but then again I don't know everything.

This is why you do back ups so when critical times like this arise you can restore them after reformatting your drive, which I know you will have to do.

"I also suggest not using the word hack and password in the same sentence when asking for help"

smore9648 said:
"I also suggest not using the word hack and password in the same sentence when asking for help"

After posting I figured the title didn't sound too good. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back