Windows XP Pro 64 bit foot in mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcloud

Hi Chaps,

Have just purchased a nice new AMD Athlon 64 bit 3000 pc from Ebay with Windows XP Pro X64 bit preloaded. I have started loading my software to get Internet access and peripherals working and get error messages, first from Telewest Blueyonder and then my Canon scanner as follows:-

"Software has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with this version of Windows. Continuing may impair or destabilise your system now or in the future. Do you wish to continue etc....."

I guess these must be 16 or 32 bit applications. Do I need to get help from Microsoft or do I need individual software fixes from all the vendors. I have got about 12 different apps to load. Thanks for any advice

puke:

XP 64 is not supported anywhere, you are completely on your own!
When loading non-logo-tested drivers/aps, just click on Yes or OK or Continue and keep all your extremities crossed.
Be warned though, there is this thing called Murphy's Law!

XP64 is designed for servers. Almost no one uses it.
Your devices like scanners and printers need a 64bit driver. The drivers you have are probably 32 bit.

So you need to do 1 of two things.
Either get the correct drivers for your peripherals. (64 bit type - IF they exist)

or go with a 32 bit version of windows XP PRO

good luck

Stick with it, nearly every day there are more drivers released for it. If everyone followed the above advice, why would hardware companies even try to make drivers.
If there is no demand, why make the product. All this public discouragement (not just TS, almost everywhere online) of using XP64 is only slowing its ability to become a good OS.

I can see both sides of the argument, both for and against using it.

To stick at it is certainly an inconvenience, but then, it won't become the OS that it should if people don't use it.

I have to say, I come down on SNGX's side here. Everyone applauded at the dawn of the 64bit CPU, but without 64bit software it's all for naught.

I think XP64 will be overshadowed by Vista.... I don't think there will be enough development for XP64 by itself. Of course if Vista drivers are compatible, then it might be ok to stick with it.... but that's a way down the road.

Vista is going to be no better than XP64 initially, its going to be just like XP32 was when it came out. The only thing it has going for it is its been hyped so long that it will get a lot of early jumpers, and maybe even pull some people off 2000 that didn't think XP was a big enough jump.

But its still going to have horrible issues off the start, needing all kinds of updates, and not going to have drivers that are worth a crap for a while.

So I guess what I'm saying is Vista will probably get fixed faster because lots of people will jump on it initially. But XP64 would too, but there is so much discouragement on the internet when anyone expresses interest in running it.

Even with the much hailed Vista, I'm sticking to my simple rule, which is NEVER to start using a new windows version untill at least 6 months after release. It's a rule I picked up during the win98 saga, and I personally feel it still holds true today.

My rule is even more stringent!
No new OS until it's at LEAST 2 years old and has had at LEAST one Service Pack.
I only installed XP-Pro this year in May!
I don't find it all that much better than W2K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back