Windows XP Pro SP2 Random restarts w/o errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extreme

I recently re-formatted the hard drive and re-installed windows and for some reason now the computer just restarts after about 20 minutes of use. It doesn't matter wether it is idle or in use, it just restarts. The heck of it is, there are no errors being reported, and after it restarts windows starts up fine. I did a search for other post but they all have some kind of error involved. I have ran memtest for 3 hours and no errors. I am clueless.

Windows XP Pro Corporate (SP2 Integrated)
Athlon XP 3200+
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
ATI 9600 XT
Omni PC3200 (1.5GB)

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME.

Did you run Memtest after it had been restarting, without making any changes? If so this points to a Windows related problem. However check the power lead going into the psu, making sure it is firm. Also check the other end that goes into the wall socket. If it is a wire-on plug check it internally.
I take it we are equiped with up-to-date AV and anti-spyware.

Everytime it restarts I run the memtest. Which equals to almost 4 hours now. I guess it isn't much good if memtest gets restarted after a restart and only goes for 20 or so minutes. But for atleast 20 or so minutes there are no errors. All the wires are secure and my anti-virus and anti-spyware are all up to date. Is there a log file somewhere that will tell me whats up?

Thanks for response

You could look in Event viewer to see if there are any clues there. So it will only run for 20 mins or so even under dos? All this changed with just a re-format?

Well it wasn't just a re-format. I zeroed out the hard drive with the Samsung Disk Manager utility and then formated the disk and installed Windows.
There are several events logged and they are happening exactly 20 minutes apart:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was:
0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbf83783d, 0xafd34c3c, 0x00000000)
A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini070905-10.dmp

What does this mean? I have done some google searches and went to Microsoft.com but nothing has turned up.

Thanx

WinXP Pro randomly restarting

I am having the exact problem, and it's frustrating because it is not generating an error report, so I have no idea why.
I can be on the internet, working in Word, or doing absolutely nothing with the screen saver running and it will randomly restart with no notice whatsoever.
Please advise how I can diagnose what is causing this problem.
Thanks!

Barbara Q

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back