Windows XP Pro system Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need help. My computer is running very slow. I open up say outlook, and it takes a very long time to open. Or if i open up IE, same thing. Takes a long time for anything to happen with it. I'm running a Intel 2.8ghz, ASUS MB, 1 gb ram, 260gb sata HD. I just got done re-loading a fresh copy of windows xp pro and still having slow issues. Not sure if it's software hijacked, or a componet failing out? ANy help would be appreciated. I attached a copy of my HJT log. Thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your HJT log is more or less clean.

You should stop this process and delete the bold file.

C:\WINDOWS\ALCMTR.EXE

See this thread HERE for info on how to speed up your system and see if it help.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks, I did as you suggested. No improvement. Also followed your advice for speeding up windows. When my system is finally booted, my windows task manager is showing high mem usage (57,808k) for explorer.exe Is this normal for computer just being turned on?

Obviously, something`s not right. Let`s see if we can rule out malware as the cause of your problems.

Go and read this thread HERE and follow the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :)

Ok, I have completed all the instructions as noted in your referenced post. Attached are the logs for HJT, AVG antispyware and combofix. The avg antirootkit scan showed nothing to report. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Your system looks clean.

It`s possible you have some software that`s causing your high cpu usage.

See this thread HERE and see if it helps.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of dmhoot only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back