Windows XP Professional keeps on restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer, which runs Windows XP Professional, got a really nasty virus from an internet site. The user ran virus checks and the like, but files and folders couldn't be opened. So, they decided to run safe mode, and went to run, typed in msconfig, checked /SAFEBOOT and checked the Minimal box. Then, they rebooted. And I came home.

When the computer was started it went to a screen with some options about going into Safe Mode or Starting Windows Normally. There were 3 or 4 options to choose, but no matter which one was chosen the computer would go back to the original choice screen.

So, we put in the XP CD and ran a chkdsk /r from it. That didn't do anything.

Then we reinstalled Windows XP. Now the screen for choosing modes is gone, but the computer continually restarts. It goes through the regular screens and at the end a blue screen flashes really quickly and the computer says "No Signal" and then it restarts and goes through the process all over again.

Is there any way to fix this? I am going out of my mind! Um, and any fixes would have to conserve files and folders, since I don't have backups.

NvadrApple said:
Then we reinstalled Windows XP. Now the screen for choosing modes is gone, but the computer continually restarts.
Did you reinstall it from scratch, or was it just some sort of repairing?

Ugh. Fixed the problem. Acutally, all we did is take out the hard drive and hook it up to a different computer, copy the files and wipe it out completely. It worked nice :giddy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back