Windows XP, random restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently upgraded my old Asus p4p800 motherboard to a p4p800-E Deluxe. I did a clean install from 2000 to XP Pro. I also had to swap out my old Antec 350W power supply(died) for an Antec 450. I have two soundcards installed along with an ATI Radeon 9800XT 256. Now whenever I'm in Win XP, the computer will restart randomly, although this happens quite often when I'm gaming or making music in Cubase SX. Any suggestions as to what the source of the problem is?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go Here and follow the instructions.

If that doesn`t help. Zip 5 or 6 minidumps together, and attach them here.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I ran memtest and

I ran the memtest and no errors came up, so I've attached the minidump files for further assistance with this issue.

Your minidumps are crashing with the following bugchecks. 7F/7E/8E/5O

In my opinion, you have some kind of hardware problem. It could still be your ram, as some faulty ram can pass Memtest.

It could also be caused by faulty video ram/L2 cache ram of your cpu/mobo/psu

Look HERE to see the meaning of your bugcheck codes.

Regards Howard :)

Not quite sure what you mean when you say you did a clean install from 2000 to XP Pro. Usually when you do a clean install, it's just one OS. But I do know that some of those P4P800-E Deluxe system boards had a particular prolem with the Service Pack 2. Just check to make sure you have the latest BIOS update for it or check for a BIOS update. I know I had to do it for a couple of customer's same model mobo's with similar issues. It should be ok unless it has been on the shelf for a while which is possible.

Random reboots are sometimes hard to troubleshoot. There are so many possibilities. But if it actually cold boots, it may be a hardware problem including RAM like Tedster and howard_hopkinso mentioned. Also some of the Asus mobos may cause similar symptoms when the RAM clock speed is incorect in the BIOS.

Good luck.

Computer rebooting almost always comes from a power supply issue. You said you just changed the power supply. Maybe its bad or not installed correctly.

Oh yeah it could also be the wall socket, if this same problem was happening before you changed the power supply and this was the reason u changed it I bet that would be the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back