Windows xp reboots right after its says windows is logging on

Status
Not open for further replies.

cola6598

Help.

Windows XP Home will not boot up. It gets as far as Windows is Logging on and then re-boots. It does this in safe mode too.
I booted from cd and did a repair and ran CHKDSK /r. no luck.
I removed all PCI cards. no luck.
I disabled on-board sound and NIC. no luck.
I re-installed XP Home - did a repair - it boots up fine. Then I re-boot once and it is back!

I scanned for viruses using Avast - nothing
I scanned with adAware - nothing suspicious.

I am afraid i have to format the drive but would love another opinion.

I have just done my second re-install of XP Home and I am now taking this opportunity while the computer works - to do back-ups .

Colleen

Well, if you have the same issue after a fresh install it's more than likely a software issue (probably driver related). Do you get any errors at all?

Well it isn't really a fresh install - since I still have all my programs and personal data. It is a repair install:)

I see a flash of an error but it is so fast I can't read it but the first words are Windows cannot log on because.....

Thanks!

Go to Start>Run>sysdm.cpl>Ok>Advanced Tab>Startup and Recovery Settings. Uncheck "Automatically Restart". This will let you see the error message.

Post your minidumps if possible.

Also, once I re-boot then I cannot back in again. I can only get back in by doing a re-install/repair of XP Home - time consuming.

Do you have any more minidumps? Post them if you do.

The one you posted is dated the 11th of Feb. Has the problem been going on that long?

No this is the latest one - there are no others that are newer and no the problem just started yesterday and the date is ok on the computer.

Hi Peterdiva

I am now done doing all my backups and i am ready to re-boot. Chances are it will not turn back on. If you could try one thing - what would you do?
I could go to MSCONFIG and disable all startuup and all non-Microsoft services.
I could try a System restore to a few a days ago.

what would you do?

Colleen

Ok - I didn't hear back from anyone so I took the lunge and re-booted and of course it didn't boot-up.
I have not had any success in the past with "LAST KNOW GOOD CONFIGURATION" option when booting from F8 but I tried it and it worked!
I then re-boot again and it still doesn't work. I tried last known... again and it worked.

Any thoughts?

Uninstall Avast AV. One minidump isn't enough though. It's crashed at aswMon2.SYS, and the process is winlogon.exe. It's also crashed after only 41 seconds of uptime.

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 804edfda, f6d83c04, 0}
Probably caused by : aswMon2.SYS ( aswMon2+6a1e )
PROCESS_NAME: winlogon.exe
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:41.078

I removed Avast and this didn't help - thanks though.

I am going to try a system restore to a few days ago. Since last known configuration works everytime. Does that sound like a logical thing to try?

System retore does open but it will not allow me to select any dates - other than today - but they are bold and look as if they should be selectable. But no movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back