Windows (XP) required partition table?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I recently installed Linux on a partition of my hdd (left winxp on another one), but am unable to boot into winxp. Now I am also unable to boot the winxp installation disc. Unless I disconnect the hdd which contains the winxp+linux partitions.
The problem should be somewhere with my partition table, which currently looks like this:
(http://users.pandora.be/wout/pom2)

Disk /dev/sda: 163.9 GB, 163928604672 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19929 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 2 11474 92156872+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda3 * 11475 19929 67914787+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda5 * 2 5099 40949653+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6 5100 5112 104391 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 5113 5237 1004031 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda8 5238 11474 50098671 83 Linux

Is this fixable or do I have to remove all partitions and reinstall?

Thanks

Might be useful to read up on both Windows Dual boot setups, and partition tables. I doubt you will ever get running on what you have. There are useful articles in the Microsoft Knowledgebase as well as on the Linux sites.

Linux works, only Windows XP doesn't want to boot (DISK ERROR) and the Installation Disc boots up but gets to a black screen and freezes.
Only disconnecting that hdd solves the installation disc problem.
Now I was wondering if I could adjust the partition table so it might work or I can better remove it all and repartition? (I prefer to keep my data)

If i am not mistaking windows requires the windows boot loader or it will not work.

In what order did you create your dual boot. ( install windows first, then linux)
i do not think you can configure lilo or grub to boot windows. I may be mistaking. My last dual boot was many years ago with redhat/windows xp.

If you do not receive an answer by tonight i will do some research and see what facts i can find.

Well, Windows was on it first but the disk has been repartitioned a few times.. So I just resized one of the partitions and made place for the linux partitions... Normally Windows is able to boot up when selected in grub (it's configured in menu.lst), but now it just won't work..

Your setup still appears suspect to me. You might have luck reinstalling Windows XP in R or Repair mode.

raybay said:
Your setup still appears suspect to me. You might have luck reinstalling Windows XP in R or Repair mode.

unable to boot up installation disc with the required hdd attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back