Windows XP Service Pack 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

You might all ready know all of this, but I thought it was worth drawing to the attention of the membership.

Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) FAQ

Windows XP Service Pack 1 (XP SP1) is more than just a collection of security hot-fixes and bug fixes; instead, it's a full-on interim Windows release with tons of new functionality. So here's the first--and most comprehensive--FAQ dedicated to the next version of Windows XP Home Edition and Professional anywhere! Be sure to read my Windows .NET Server FAQ and Longhorn FAQ for information about other upcoming Windows versions.
Q: What is Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1)?
A: XP SP1 will roll up critical updates and contain enabling technologies for "Mira" and new types of PCs like the Tablet PC and the "Freestyle" enabled PC. It will also include the changes required by the consent decree with the DOJ and the nine states. More information about SP1 will be available soon, right here on the SuperSite.

Q: What are "Mira" and "Freestyle"? UPDATED!
A: Mira is a new remote display technology that uses Windows CE .NET, 802.11b (Wi-Fi) wireless capabilities, and XP's Remote Desktop feature to enable a new generation of smart displays which you can carry around the home.

Freestyle is a simple, graphical front-end to the XP-based digital media tasks you can perform with a remote control, rather than a keyboard and mouse. This includes listening to digital music, watching photo slideshows, and viewing digital movies and DVDs.

For more information about these exciting new technologies, please check out my Mira and Freestyle technology showcase.

Q: When will XP SP1 ship? UPDATED!
A: Microsoft says late 2002, but sources tell me that SP1 will be finalized in August 2002, with a September 2002 street date. This will give PC makers time to integrate the new XP into PCs for the 2002 holiday season.

Q: What's the XP SP1 code-name? UPDATED!
A: Currently, XP SP1 does not have a code-name. The "Mira" and "Freestyle" names, however, are code-names, and might change by the time these technologies are finalized.

Q: Wasn't this supposed to ship in early 2002?
A: Yes, the original plan was to ship XP SP1 in the first half of 2002. But face with the problem of how to ship new enabling technologies such as Mira and Freestyle, Microsoft decided to integrate it all into a single release aimed at satisfying the need for a yearly Windows release.

Q: When will the XP SP1 beta test start? UPDATED!
A: Expect the XP SP1 beta to be closed to existing XP testers only; I expect the beta to start this spring. A separate Mira beta is beginning in early April and will hit Beta 2 this summer. I haven't confirmed when the Freestyle beta will begin, but this too will be tested separately from XP SP1.

Q: So what about Longhorn? UPDATED!
A: Longhorn has been delayed until late 2003 or early 2004. See my Longhorn FAQ and showcase, the Road to Longhorn, for more information about the next Windows release after XP SP1.

source: http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/xpsp1.asp

Originally quoted by Phantasm66:
SP1 will be finalized in August 2002, with a September 2002 street date. This will give PC makers time to integrate the new XP into PCs for the 2002 holiday season.
:haha: Get your XP now to be able to upgrade! :haha:
Really smart marketing...

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli

:haha: Get your XP now to be able to upgrade! :haha:
Really smart marketing...

If you have XP Pro now, will you have to pay for the Service Pack ??

Like Win 98 and SE ??

No, the Service Pack will be free, just a lot of OEMS now integrate the Service Packs into the OS (So you'll get Windows XP SP1 when you buy a new system).
At work for example we've upgraded to Windows 2000 SP1. Just one install required, no hassles with it.

Its actually possible to make your own Windows 2000 CD with Service Pack 2 integrated, the same will be true with XP service pack 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back