windows xp setup not loading (but linux loads?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I hope someone can help, had no success so far and I have tried alot of different things!

Basically the problem is that the windows xp pro setup cd wont load on startup.
All that happens is the cursor flashes on and off and nothing else happens.
I defaulted the bios.
The pc is a new build:
Intel celeron 3ghz
Asrock conroe xfire
2gb kingston ddr2 pc5400 (2x1gb sticks)
ati x300
segate barracuda 250gb 7200rpm
350w psu

I tried putting a linux cd (ubuntu 7.04) in and it boots fine to that.
I tried turning off all the other boot media just to have the CD drive as the boot media.
the ram came out of my week old machine after i got hold of a cheap upgrade, so the ram shouldnt be a problem.
I also tried burning the xp pro setup files to a cd at 16x speed and all that does is make the machine tell me to put in proper boot media and press a key..but when i put in the xp pro setup cd (which worked fine in an install yesterday) it just has the cursor and does nothing...
anybody got any ideas? would really appreciate it if someone could help me on this.
cheers
nick

nicho12 said:
I also tried burning the xp pro setup files to a cd at 16x speed and all that does is make the machine tell me to put in proper boot media and press a key

No suprise there then.

nicho12 said:
but when i put in the xp pro setup cd (which worked fine in an install yesterday) it just has the cursor and does nothing...
anybody got any ideas? would really appreciate it if someone could help me on this.

The problem probably lies with the CD unit have you tried swapping it out for another one ? yes I know you say Ubuntu works but I have seen this problem cured by swapping out the CD Unit

Regards

Yeah I swopped the CD drive over with one I know works..
for a second it looked like it would do nothing but then it kicked into life :)
wonderful stuff thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back