Windows XP setuup could not detect any hard disks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have spent around 5 hours of my time figuring this out, and i still have had no luck. Basically the problem is that I received a computer from a friend, which has the following specs (which would affect installing windows)

Gigabyte motherboard model GA-8I915P-G

Western Digital Hard Drive model wd800bb 80gb (second edition)

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 gh HT (hyper threading)

The problem obviously happens when I try to install windows xp that It cant detect any hard disks. I have already run Western Digital Diagnostics tool and GParted and the hard drive works fine, the problem is windows setup doesn't detect it (or BIOS for that matter)

What seems to be a bigger problem is that I cant find a driver for windows to load when pressing F6 that actually detects the hard drive. The hard drive is an EIDE hard drive, the Gigabyte motherboard has an EIDE scanning system that finds the hard drive in both Raid and ATA mode (in Raid while scanning it finds it instantly were as ATA it takes around 20 seconds). Im assuming that Raid is the proper option and the raid array is set to 0 (normal mode).

Here are the following drivers for the Gigabyte i have tried, none of which work
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Service/RSS/RSSFeed.aspx?Class=2&Product=1802&Search=Driver
and
http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive23-2005-5-168230.html

there also doesn't seem to be a driver for the specific motherboard model (GA-8I915P-G). All the drivers fall under GA-8I915P (without the G). Here is a link to the Gigabyte website for the motherboard
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=1799
However there are no drivers listed

Are there some BIOS settings that need to be done in order for just the windows install to detect it, or is there something that I am missing. BTW in bios in peripheral settings Gigabyte has some GigaRAID system (which can be disabled and has the 2 ATA and RAID settings), however last time I did this it didn't even detect the hard drive at all.

Anyone got anything on how to solve my problem, im pretty sure its a driver for the gigbyte/intel and not for the WD hard drive, but I could be wrong.

I also forgot to mention one important thing, the computer itself detects the hard drive without any problems .i.e when I first got the computer and it tried to boot off windows it had no problems (windows didnt fully boot though because some files on the hard drive became corrupted which is why I am formatting it). Likewise when I used Western Digitals Diagnostic tools and created a NTFS partition and i put the hard drive as first priority, it came up with the error NTLDR missing, which means that it detected the hard drive but windows isn't installed on the operating system. If nothing works i may have to resort putting the hard drive in another comp, hope it detects it without any probs and install windows that way (this however can create problems with different chipsets as windows installs different drivers)

Dont worry about it, I figured it out, it seems that the GigaRAID needed special drivers, i found the drivers and now it works without problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back