Windows XP SP2 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELP HELP!!! PLEASE

I have just formatted my friends machine
I reinstalled windows XP SP1 as that is the disk that I have I installed all the drivers.
I then went on the ms website to update and install SP2.
Once sp2 installed the computer restarted, it did not restart it crashes now on the first windows XP screen (after the bios).

The computer than restarts itself automatically where a screen comes up saying

Normal boot (which crashes again as above)
Safe mode (which boots up ok)
Safe mode with networking (crashes again)
Safe mode with command prompt (starts ok with comand prompt screen)

What can I do to sort this out!!

Thanks in advance!

Bad hard drive, is the most likely cause.
What was the reason you reformatted the drive.
You might also want to get a full Service Pack 2 CD from www.microsoft.com. They charge you $3.95... for shipping, but I doubt tha SP2 has anything to do with the problem. It is essentially a complete reinstall of Windows XP with the security updates, and microsoft changes which benefit microsoft, built into the SP 2 install

Hi Captainsimon, Of recent microsoft had decided to shut down any hotfix, because they found out that people have problems while trying to upgrade, i will give u example, my Pc has an intel 945 chip, with 256mb display card which is an express video card, if i install windows, and all the drivers, it works fine, but if i update and it installs any hotfixes, then that is the end of the windows, it won't open for like 25mins and when it starts it will have a resolution equal to windows 3.1, and my user name will be gone, it will give me errors till it restarts automatically.
Eg 2: Skype was down some time ago, it was be cause of Hotfixes, now u will say that u didn't install them, but almost every update u make, comes with a hotfix in it.
So i would suggest that u try installing using a cd sp 2.

Wish u luck
Robin

Remember even if u installed the sp 2 then updated, there chances of crashing again.

Look HERE If necessary uninstall SP2,

then redownload from HERE Disable firewall and Anti Virus,and remove spyware before reinstalling it.

SP2 usually installs fine on systems without spyware or firewalls/AV running.

Still it is safer and quite inexpensive to buy the disc. My orders at $3.95 arrive in three days... it is handy to have some on hand for friends and clients as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back