Windows Xp Sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Guys,

I have a wee problem with my windows xp log in. When i switch on the computer it goes through bios ok and then the windows xp logo appears and the computer reboots. It does this over and over every time i.e i cannot get into windows.

Even when i select safe mode etc it does the same.

Could this be a corropt boot up windows files ?

Any idea how i could get out of this and avoid doing a complete reinstall?

If i can remember rightly if i do a repair off the windows xp install disk it wont allow me because i have sp2 installed on my computer and the install disk was the orginal xp i.e a newer copy of windows is installed compared to the windows on the xp install disk ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

You can still do a Repair
Once fully repaired, you can then download (or have ready) SP2
Note: you will require your Windows product key, when repairing.

The Usual Suspect is the hard drive.
Although you have tried SAFE Mode, be sure you have tried it from a cold boot to see if the machine cold boot in SAFE MODE, by repeatedly pressing the <F8> key once per second as soon as you press the <ON> button?
If not, you need to think about a major hardware problem as a possibility... Hard drive, video graphics card failure, or memory failure.
Best test is to try installing a new or known good blank drive.
Other ways to test, are disconnect the hard drive power cable, then assure the BIOS is set to boot to the optical drive or floppy.
If you have a floppy drive, borrow a Windows 98 or ME floppy, and see what you get.
Or boot to a Windows Install disc or other basic program on CD...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back