Windows XP won't boot can't fix with RC or Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a problem. I have looked at many threads on this site but can't find one to match my problem so here goes.

My kids computer (AMD 700Mhz, dual boot Windows XP/Windows 2000, 20Gb HD and 512Mb memory) stop booting to Windows XP. After starting, the Windows XP splash screen would display then disappear and a black screen would display and get stuck there. After several attempts of trying to boot in Safe Mode I got the same results. I can boot to Windows 2000 fine. My daughter had a file that she needed to finish and print urgently so I took the HD from their machine and connected it to my machine (AMD 3500+ 2.2GHz, Windows XP, 150MB HD raid0, and 2GB memory) to move the file and complete and finish it. After I shut down my machine and restarted it the next day I realized that I had the same problem with my machine. (I feel like such an *****) I should have run a virus scan on her drive and my machine but nooooo.

Supecting a virus was at play, I then went to the net on my laptop to find the symptoms of the problem. Without much success I decided to use the Windows XP install disc to repair my Kid's computer. I initially tried to access the Recovery Console but can't get it to accept the administrator password. I then attempted to do a Windows Repair to fix the problem. This seem to be working fine as Windows Setup loaded all the required files. I then selected and hit Enter to set up Windows XP now. Clicked F8 to agree to the licensing agreement. I see the present Windows XP installation (C:\WINDOWS "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" is selected and click "R" to start the repair. Setup then starts the repair by examining the disk, then deleting and copy files to the HD and then reboots the system. Once it restart it then boots from the HD to Windows XP to complete the installation. I then get the popup lsass.exe - System Error that says "An invalid parameter was passed to a server of function". When you click Ok the system shuts down and reboots to start the cycle over again.

And sadly I repeated all the above steps on the second machine and got the exact same results.

Help... Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

run windows xp install when it asks what folder to put it in rename it windows1 then get all the files of the drive then run xp installer delete the partition and create a new one install there and put the files back on but first scan what you put the files on with antivirus

Fixed the problem

Ok, fixed the problem on my two XP machine.

Get BartPE. This thing is super simple to use.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/#download

also download the stinger plugin from McAfee. It's free.

What you want to do after you get Bart running on the damaged machine is backup the SYSTEM, DEFAULT, SAM, SOFTWARE, and SECURITY files from the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG directory. Copy them anywhere you want. You never know.

At this point I used the stinger plugin and repaired all the sasser files. .

Then I used Bart to copy an old restore point over the system files. The restore points are in your "System Volume Information" directory. Drill down til you get to the RP## directories. Start looking in the SNAPSHOT subfolders for dates that are before the problem ocurred. A couple of days should be good. Once you find them, copy the
_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM
somewhere else. In the copied folder (not the restore point folder) rename them to their base names (same as the ones you copied out of the windows\system32\config folder). This was slow on my machine but be patient. Once done, copy them all into the \windows\system32\config directory. Restart.

Here is a link to a PDF site online that will give you a much better step by step intructions to walk you through the process.

http://nordicgroup.us/xprecovery/recoveryxp.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back