windows xp wont boot up. help!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
im using xp home edition and it wont boot up. the hard drive is a maxtor 250gig. it gets to the screen that has the xp logo with the bars loading at the bottom and then reboots (no matter which mode i select). i tried to do a repair via xp cd-rom but when it finished it took me to the dos prompt. i tried to do a 'dir' and it said "an error occurred during directory enumeration" i tried to do chkdsk /r and at the 25% mark i got this message "the volume appears to contains one or more unrecoverable problems" i tried slaving the drive and although computer b was able to recognize the drive i wasnt able to access it. i truly believe this is a software issue and not a physical drive issue. does anyone have any suggestions besides sending it to a data recovery place? i have thousands of pics of my 8 month old and will be heart broken if i cant recover them.(i was waiting for the 1 year mark to back them up) the folder i need the most is on the desktop, if i re-install xp will i lose all files on the desktop?

please help. i have never been so desperate.

Hello,
Have you tried to boot your maxtor hd to another pc and run it as a slave drive, at least that way you can get your files and redo the hard drive

gLaDiAtOr said:
im using xp home edition and it wont boot up. the hard drive is a maxtor 250gig. it gets to the screen that has the xp logo with the bars loading at the bottom and then reboots (no matter which mode i select). i tried to do a repair via xp cd-rom but when it finished it took me to the dos prompt. i tried to do a 'dir' and it said "an error occurred during directory enumeration" i tried to do chkdsk /r and at the 25% mark i got this message "the volume appears to contains one or more unrecoverable problems" i tried slaving the drive and although computer b was able to recognize the drive i wasnt able to access it. i truly believe this is a software issue and not a physical drive issue. does anyone have any suggestions besides sending it to a data recovery place? i have thousands of pics of my 8 month old and will be heart broken if i cant recover them.(i was waiting for the 1 year mark to back them up) the folder i need the most is on the desktop, if i re-install xp will i lose all files on the desktop?

please help. i have never been so desperate.

Did not read your entire situation through, Run your chkdsk /f command when you set it up as a slave drive and hopefully that should fix the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back