WinXP and Cable slow as a snail...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FooDew13

Built myself a nice little computer, AthlonXP 1600, 512 DDR Ram, all sorts of good stuff. I installed XP Pro and now the cable modem that used to be lightning fast with downloads going at 300 kb/sec go at 5 kb/sec. Websites also load pretty slowly. Anyone have any idea as to why this is? The other computer on my network still runs perfectly and everything is pretty fast, although it has XP home on it. Suggestions?

First, what kind of modem is it? Do you have the latest drivers for it?

I also have a cable modem and all I have to do is connect with the network and I can access the internet fine. I must be some setting set wrong. I would double check everything!!!

Did you load the drivers for the network card? Other than a setting change, which i can't recall one that would slow down a network, i would make sure that you have the drivers installed correctly, and also that your TCP/IP Settings are correct.

If nothing else works, try repairing your connection by going to your network connections folder and right clicking on your cable connection. Choose "repair".. This may fix the problem.

Thanks for the replies, I removed winxp and it jumped from 63 kb/sec to around 800 kb/sec. My other computer still has winxp installed (on the same network) and it's still really slow. Guess my ISP (roadrunner) and winxp just don't get along.

Nah, that's not it, i know plenty of people who have roadrunner and i have no problems running winxp. In your fist post you said that the second computer winxp home on it ran fine and in your second post you say sill runs slowly. Did it run fine or not? It's probably your drivers or setting somewhere. What router/hub you running?

sorry bout that mix up, both ran slowly with xp installed. Hub is a linksys generic one, i don't know the exact model off hand. But i'm almost positive that it's not the hub cause with 98 SE installed it runs really well. Both computers do have onboard LAN plug ins but I don't think that's the issue either, i got the newest drivers for it and it didn't make a difference. I also tried not using the hub at all and just plugging the cable modem directly into the comp and got the same result. i've tried using various tweaking utils and nothing has changed. Is there a setting somewhere that could be doing this, or does anyone have any other ideas?

I'm sure there is a setting somewhere, but you should just call the Linksys Tech support number. Post back if you need it, but their tech support is awesome. They've helped me solve any problem i've had with their products on the first call. It's award winning and 24/7 from what i've seen.

Thanks for the suggestions, but it's working again. Problem was the firewall supplied by WinXP. At least I now know multiple ways to fix a slow connection :). thanks again.

Go to your 'network connections' folder, right click your connection and open properties. Open the advanced tab and there will be a field for 'Internet Connection Firewall', and a check box to enable/disable it. I don't have it enabled because I don't trust Windows one bit with my security :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back