WinXP gets stuck at black loading screen. Please help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About two weeks ago (due to unfortunate circumstances) I had to reformat and in the process acquired an extra 250Gb SATA drive. Everything was going just peachy and I had reinstalled all the programs that were installed before the reformat, nothing new.

Same Windows XP Professional same everything.

Then I restart one day and it gets stuck at the black loading screen (blue scrolling thing just keeps scrolling). Boot in safe mode, fine. Restore to a point 3 days back, fine.

I figured it might be the Windows updates seeing as I had installed the whole lot of them in between the restore time and mess up time. So I do not install them this time.

Restart again same thing happens, do the same. And so it continued until at some point Safe mode stopped working.

A this point I repaired Windows (not seeing any other option) which fixed the not being able to restart in Safe mode but not the original problem. Eventually I went into Device Manager and disabled all Modems, Network Adapters etc.

It starts up just fine, so one by one I enable everything until only my floppy drive is disabled which I don't even think is plugged in anyway and I figure yay! I fixed it.

It remained fixed for about 4 days (including numerous restarts juuust to make sure it wasn't fooling with me). Now this morning, same problem.

I went into Device Manager, disabled everything I could think of, still having the problem. Restored to two days hence so I could connect to internet (but from past experience I'm pretty sure it'll just go back to the problem once I restart, which btw I'm too scared to do now.) This is part of the boot log with everything disabled (which is mighty strange if you asked me):

Loaded driver srescan.sys
Loaded driver Mup.sys
Loaded driver kl1.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\drivers\TDI.SYS
Did not load driver ACPI Multiprocessor PC
Did not load driver Intel Processor

Ed finitum until at some point:

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbohci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbehci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rdpdr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\termdd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\swenum.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\update.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mssmbios.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbhub.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS

etc. etc. you get the picture.

Also in my Event Viewer I get for SPTD:
Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

Though DAEMON isn't installed anymore after the Restore.

Ran Spybot and Kaspersky, nothing.

Any help perhaps?

Windows XP Professional SP2 (No Windows updates yet)
Intel Pentium D 2.80Gz
GeForce 7900GT
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0
ZoneAlarm
Anything else?

Thanks!

Weird

Hi Darkfire777

Well this is a weird issue your having, cant say I've had it before and I cant say what the solution will be, but here is what my attemts would have been.

I would first of all, format and re-install windows just to make sure its not a sytem file issue.

I had a similar problem with a pc once, I tried everything (other hardrive, etc.) eventually I changed the CPU and BAM my Problem was solved, do try different hardware ofr ex. RAM and CPU.

Good luck!!

CCT said:
I believe your problem is a mix of 2 versions of Kaspersky - disable it, download the cleaner and remove it all, then install 1 version.

http://www.kaspersky.com/support/kav6/error?page=1&qid=199062187

You sir are a veritable god! It worked though I'm not sure why seeing as I've only installed one version. Probably the with all the restores and the previous semi format and all that the registry entries still remained.

Bleh who cares! It worked! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

(Let's hope it lasts this time.) :darth: <-{closest it seems I'm going to get to ninja}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back