WinXP Logs Off As Soon As I Log In most probably affected from a W32.Virut.W virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
i need a hand here - my WinXP Logs Off As Soon As I Log In, it all happened after i copied some stuff to my compt from a usb stick which was affected with a virus called W32.Virut.W -of course i didn't known that usb stick was affected with a virus otherwise i wouldn't stick that usb stick to my compt,) - (i later found out from symantect info that this very virus is infects .exe and .scr files on the compromised computer. It also opens a back door and may download potentially malicious files on to the compromised computer.
NOW I CANNOT LOG INTO MY XP OS AT ALL, I'VE TRIED ALL WAY LIKE SAFE MODE AND ALL THAT.
can i get a hand here, please?

Hello, lebatek, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, if you can't get into safe mode then try a Windows repair installation. Instructions here: How to repair Windows XP/2000 if you are unable to boot into Windows

Otherwise, your best option is to put the hard drive into another PC as a slave and copy important data off of it, then reformat the drive and reinstall Windows (in the original PC) How to reformat your hard drive and install/reinstall Windows

When you've got the pc sorted, clean that USB drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back