WinXP Modem Driver for presario 1622

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presario 1622 56K-DF Modem driver for XP

Hi guys. I have noticed that when i installed winXP on my old presario 1622 it didnt detected the modem. I've tried to find the driver for XP but i'm having a little trouble with it. I went to the hp/compaq site but there's a driver but only for win 95/98/ME. I downloaded it but when using the .inf file trying winxp to detect it, it doesn´t work.

Everything was ok when it had win98 because it detected the modem right away...i know, this machine wasn´t supposed to work with xp but with good ram and a good hard drive it is working well :D

The modem in question is the Compaq Presario 56K-DF modem. If anyone knows where to find this driver, please let mi know.

Take down the chip name, board, and product numbers, then look for the WXP drivers on www.driverguide.com. The drivers are there, and are free. The Presario used several different modems. The 56k-DF doesn't help unless you also know the brand... if you cannot figger it out, repost with the modem card and chip numbers here and we will guide you.
The modem is usually a Lucent, now found as Agere. The driverguide version that usually works is the Presario 1275 56K-DF, file name SP20530, which you can also find with a www.hp.com search.

as far as I remember compaq/hp offers system tools on a cd or as a local install which check your hardware and tell you which driver is not installed correctly or not all.
you may have a look here
it is a windows98 software but who knows.... maybe you find something else/better on support pages.

They do offer the tools, but the Compaq tools do not work on an issue such as this, for which an old machine, not designed, for Windows, requires a driver they do not support.
The best choice is to go to Lucent/Agere, or to one of the driver support sites such as driver guide. The SP20530 works well on that modem, whether obtained from www.hp.com, or from www.driverguide.com

the little problem about taking out the modem card is, that this presario es the laptop model, not the desktop one :D and it looks quite tricky to take that modem out because it is at the rear bottom inner side of the laptop...that means a complete dissasembly :D

about the win95/98 driver, i've already tried those...no suceess :( Also i tried that presario 1275 driver but is not working...it detected a Agere modem in the "install new devices" at contro panel tool. But still not working when provinding driver path. We live in a broadband era now, we don´t use dial-up modems so often...but you just never know :)

I've contacted hp/compaq for a driver or info about it...i doubt i get an answer from them :)

These Compaq notebooks all use that same modem. It is unpluggable, but you can also search the www.hp.com download site for these models, and presumably will find one or more which use this modem and have WXP drivers available for download.

Also, you can go to driver guide with your Presario 1622 notebook loaded with WXP, and run the free driver scan to discover if they have free driver downloads that will work.

For these Compaq Presario Notebook models, look for the driver upgrade in one of them that will work. I am told by Compaq that the modem is the same and some of them do offer drivers for WXP. But they will not tell me which ones since your 1622 is not supported.

1215, 1220, 1230, 1232, 1234, 1235, 1236, 1237, 1238, 1240, 1250, 1252,
1610, 1611, 1620, 1621, 1622, 1624, 1625, 1626, 1630, 1635, 1636, 1640,
1650, 1655, 1680, 1681, 1682, 1805, 1810, 2200, 2210, 2212, 2220, 2230,
2232, 2240, 2246, 2253, 2254, 2255, 2256, 2262, 2274, 2276, 2510, 4220,
4504, 4505, 4506, 4508, 4524, 4526, 4528, 4532, 4540, 4546, 4550, 4555,
4560, 4620, 4626, 4640, 4660, 4665, 4808, 4810, 4814, 4816, 4824, 4830,
4832, 4834, 4840, 4850, 4860, 4862, 4880, and the 4910.

You might also look for the modem brand and model, which my manual says is either an Agere or Lucent.

Hi guys...still no luck...i finally got answer from hp/compaq....they told me to use this file: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp06501-07000/sp6987.exe

thats the file driverguide and other driver sites quote for this modem...BUT, the little problem is, that installer doesn´t work. I've downloaded it from a few other sites too including the one at driverguide and its the same one. It fails when is about to start installing. It only shows the primary installer screen (the one with an external modem picture) and at the next step it throws an error dialog window; that window only says "Error" on the window title bar, it has an exclamation sign ( ! ) and no error description text. I've tried it in my desktop PC and also on the presario 1622 in question, and in both PCs in gives the same error screen. So, i can´t get to finish that setup because of that. I've contacted hp/compaq again for that error but now i dont guess they will answer at all :D...

I've tried many xp drivers from the models you gave me RayBay, but still no luck. Many of them just have a win95/98/ME driver, but i kept looking for the XP ones, but they seem to be different modems....

Anybody has that sp6987.exe file, that really works ?

thanks in advance.

You may have to run a complete format and reinstall. Your problem is unusual. The drive you posted worked for us just now.

whaaaaaaaaat? :O it worked? :O:O!!!! it finished the setup?!!! man, i don´t know what's going on here then...reformat hm, i guess i'll give it a try but what bothers me is that that setup crash happened in my desktop PC and in the presario 1622...i don´t get it :S

Ok, this thing is officially driving me crazy. I reformated the laptop, with a windows XP sp1 (before it had windows xp sp 2) haven´t installed anything else...it just finished, then i copied the sp6987.exe file, uncompressed it, executed the setup.exe and same Error window.....:O?.......same thing...

Raybay, do you think you could help me out to get the final files (.inf, and .vxd) that this setup installs? maybe from the computer you succeeded installing that same Setup application? i see in this uncompressed folder a Data.z file that i guess it could contain those files...but when i double click it but winrar says it is a corrupt/wrong format file....maybe that file doesn´t mean anything anyway...maybe you coud get them from the system folder of that machine and send them to my email? please? i guess it could be the only way to get this thing working :s

Not Solvable

I don't believe this problem is solvable. There are a lot of posts scattered around with people trying to get this modem working in XP, but no posts with credible success stories.

It detects my "Compaq Presario 56K-DF" just fine, but it has the yellow exclamation point in Device Manager. When I open it, it gives an error 29, which means that the machine's BIOS didn't give the OS the resources it needs.

I went into the machine's BIOS and disabled the extra serial, parallel, and floppy controllers. That was no help. There was no configuration there for the modem. In fact, there's hardly any configuration to be done in the BIOS.

There's a BIOS update, but it only addresses the touchpad, I believe. I downloaded it and applied it anyhow. Obviously, it didn't help.

I downloaded all of the drivers that people have suggested, to no avail.

I think the only solution is to spend $15 (including shipping) on EBay for a combo LAN/modem card. This stupid boat anchor is my father's, and I swear I should have just bought him a new laptop rather than spend my time messing with this one.

I really don't think the driver is the issue. I think it's that the BIOS isn't WinXP (or 2K for that matter) compatible.

I understand now why people don't like Compaq laptops.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back