WinXP Pro Repair Install Repeat Failure on New System

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a number of new components to upgrade my system (New chassis, motherboard, processor, ram). I intend to keep my old hard drive (along with CD and DVD devices) and use it with these new components. However I am having major difficulty getting them to work.

After initially booting and configuring the BIOS, I have tried to do the WinXP Repair Install (as listed elsewhere in these forums), but when the system is about half way done "Installing Drivers," the machine inexplicably reboots. After this, it automatically goes back to the installation following a screen reading "Setup is restarting......" and begins the setup again. It seems to be stuck in this loop and will not progress any further. What is going on??

Help!!

-Bill

Harware:
Motherboard: MSI 865PE Neo2-V
Processor: Intel Pentium4 3.0Ghz, 1MB L2-Cache 800MHz 478
(Processor and motherboard tested at store location and confirmed compatability)
Memory: Dual Kingston 512 MB 266 MHz DDR PC2100
(also supposed compatability verified at purchasing location)
Hardrive: Seagate Barracuda 80Gig Ultra ATA 100 (IDE)

It sounds like you tried to repair the old O/S from your old machine. If this is the case , Forget it.Format the old drive and start with new Partitions and a Clean fresh install.
Windows just cannot easily adapt to all of those Hardware changes.

Welcome to Techspot

Thanks for the suggestion and the quick reply. I dont like the sound of loosing all my data, and I do have one other option. I also purchased a new 80 gig SATA hard drive. However, I've had probelms getting this installed too.

When i take out my old hard drive completely and only connect the SATA drive to the new motherboard, it cannot recognize this drive. I've searched all the forums for a clear answer on how to get it to work, but I havent found a satisfactory explanation. My motherboard came with no floppy disk for SATA drives. I have tried to configure BIOS to respond to it, but it still wont identify it. I've even tried doing the Windows install and after pressing F6 tried to get it to recognize, but it just doesnt work. Any suggestions here?

You must load the drvers for the SATA after you press F6 they are not built in to Windows.
I always put floppy drives in my Boxes they are just too handy.
You can try a USB Floppy , or put the drvers for the SATA on a CD (I have not tried this though)

I do not know how to get a hold of these drivers, however. The MSI website only has applications which update drivers after you're already in windows (which won't run on my working computer because its not the correct motherboard). Where can I get the basic SATA drivers to put on a floppy?

You can get them from the Website of the manufacturer of the HDD , along with comeplete instructions as to how to properly install it.
Then install your old drive to get your DATA files.

Hey - thanks for all your help. Quick update: I ended up taking it back to the store where they discovered that the SATA drive had something majorly wrong with it (first SATA drive the repair guy has seen thats failed.) He installed a new one, and now the mother board clearly identifies it and Im installing windows as I write this. Once again thanks for your help!

-bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back